Food Trends being Tracked
How people eat and what they choose to eat is changing. Over the past 10 years, food has taken on a greater value and sense of importance. Besides being a source of fuel and enjoyment, food, research shows, may be an effective tool in taking care of one's health and a means of beating the odds of developing certain diseases, such as heart disease or some kinds of cancer. Given this new role for food, what's the outlook for food in the future? Here are two trends being forecast.Functional foods will flourish-Functional foods are foods or food ingredients that provide health benefits beyond basic nutrition. Examples of functional foods are juices fortified with calcium to help protect against osteoporosis, margarine that can lower cholesterol levels, and cereals fortified with folic acid to reduce the risk of certain birth defects. The development of these types of products is the fastest growing segment of the food industry. Watch for an explosion of new products promising to help you fend off disease. There already are beverages brimming with antioxidants to hopefully protect against cancer or colds, healthful bacteria added to yogurt that may help strengthen the immune system, and fiber added to cereals or breads that may help lower cholesterol levels.Surveys show that shoppers believe eating certain kinds of foods may help them reduce their need for medication and help them stay well. One-third of consumers actually select a food because it has a specific medicinal purpose. Some of the hot health issues in the future will be food products for:
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review