FSA Wants Changes to all EU Food Labeling
The Food Standards Agency is to press for far reaching changes in European food labeling rules to provide clearer information for consumers, tighter controls on claims about GM ingredients and better information for people with allergies. The FSA is also planning to work with industry on voluntary action to make food labels easier to understand and develop a new national code of guidance on the promotion of foods to children.The action plan, agreed by the Food Standards Agency Board at its meeting in Belfast, follows nine months of consultation and consumer research. The Agency is calling for the compulsory EU listing of all ingredients in food that could cause allergic reactions, and wants to extend the listing to include alcoholic drinks. To help end what the FSA describes as "consumer confusion caused by misleading health claims such as low-fat, fat-free, and 80% fat-free," the Agency will be pressing for legally binding EU standards on nutrition claims and clear nutrition labeling on all foods.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review