GM Foods Q&A Feature
What is genetic modification (GM) and what are the pros and cons of it? The objective is to improve the resistance of crops to weed-killer, disease and rot by transferring to them genetic material (DNA) from another unrelated plant or animal. The practice is widespread in the US, where it has aroused little political or public protest. The main GM crop is soya beans followed by maize, oilseed rape, potatoes and tomatoes. Supporters of GM says it represents the only way to increase global food productivity and tackle world starvation. It will allow farmers to grow crops in poor conditions and lessen the use of chemical pesticides, herbicides and water.It will mean that food stays fresh longer and is easier to handle. No government or official agency has yet declared flatly that GM foods are unsafe. Opponents say that antibiotic genes could pass into humans, increasing susceptibility to disease, including cancer and meningitis. GM crops may release spores that will affect conventionally grown crops, damaging the environment and destroying wildlife.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review