Nordic Food Retail Market Buzzing with Takeover Rumours
The main players are keeping their cards close to their chest, but talk of acquisition activity is currently rife in the Nordic food retail sector, with persistent speculation about possible takeovers and new alliances in Sweden and Norway. The combined value of the Nordic markets is nearly SKr500bn and the region's 20 million customers are now within reach of most of the major retailers through their increasingly efficient pan-Nordic distribution networks and strong purchasing logistics. A year ago, the food retail sector in these countries seemed relatively competitive, judging both from the main operators' relative size, market share and financial results. Over the last six months or so, however, the Nordic retail food market has been dramatically reshaped and the main players are readying themselves for further action. Several of them are also thought to have an eye to the hitherto maiden Baltic markets of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. "Big is beautiful" seems to be the ruling motto of the Nordic food retail industry.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review