Re-inventing the Role of the Airline
British Airways World Cargo is re-inventing the perception that airlines only carry perishables goods from 'A to B' and is building a dynamic new value-added business in the process.The airline industry has traditionally earned a chequered reputation with major supermarket chains, perishables importers in the UK and overseas growers. Perishables is a difficult and highly time-sensitive cargo to transport and is only carried by many airlines because there is no alternative on many international routes if they are to generate any freight revenue. Lack of understanding about the special needs of this cargo and poor airport handling facilities often resulted in large insurance claims and a further deterioration of working relationships with airlines.In 1995, British Airways World Cargo set out to change all that and in four years has developed a multi-million pound 'business within a business' that is revolutionising its relationships with perishables customers.Tony Wright, the airline's manager of global sales & development, was given the brief to build the airlines perishables business. He says: "British Airways' unique network meant we had always carried a large volume of fresh produce traffic out of countries in Africa, the US west coast and South America, but like every other carrier, we previously had no special facilities for this business." We recognised significant potential if we started to work more closely with perishables customers to gain a clear understanding of their requirements. As a result of this process, in 1995, we opened a dedicated fresh produce centre close to Heathrow."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Nestle invests in Italian pizza production
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report