On the money: Saputo to hang onto bakery business
Saputo looking to drive bakery sales in US
Saputo's bakery business is "not for sale", the Canadian dairy giant's chief executive has insisted after a writedown on the value of the division led to a fall in the company's annual profits.
A C$125m (US$122.2m) charge was recorded on Saputo's grocery products division, which sells products including cakes, cereal bars and pies. Saputo said the writedown reflected "stagnating growth in market-wide snack cake sales".
It led group net earnings to tumble 15.4% to C$380.8m for the 12 months to the end of March.
The division accounts for only 2% of Saputo's turnover and, over the financial year, revenue from the unit fell 5.2%, although EBITDA inched up 0.8%.
Speaking to analysts on Tuesday (5 June) after Saputo's annual results were published, CEO and vice chairman Lino Saputo Jr said the company was eyeing an increase in sales from the division in the US in the next 12 months.
"At this stage, bakery is part of Saputo's entities. There have been some incredible initiatives over the course of the last two to three years that have allowed that division to at least keep its head above water. There are initiatives for this fiscal year that will allow us to penetrate the US market and drive more volumes through that division. For the time being, our focus is to continue to improve that division and it's not for sale," he said.
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- How could a TTIP affect the food industry?
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- Mars takes UK chocolate brands into trail mixes
- German dairy DMK to pursue cost-cutting plans
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights