Somerfield buy takes Co-op into big league
UK retailer The Co-operative Group finally got its man today (16 July) with the announcement of its GBP1.6bn (US$3.2bn) takeover of Somerfield. The acquisition will make the Co-op the country's fifth-largest retailer but, as Dean Best reports, questions are being asked over how easy it will be to digest Somerfield - and compete with the "big four".
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- 2017: three major drivers of M&A strategy
- The food market in 2017 - consumer trends and M&A
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Premier Foods issues profit warning
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- Lindt sees FY sales acceleration on Europe growth
- Unilever sets packaging target