The just-food international basket - Q4 2012
The narrowing of the price gaps between brands and own label was a key trend to emerge in the data on the just-food international basket for the fourth quarter of 2012.
|CATEGORY||TYPICAL PACK SIZE||PACK TYPE|
|Cereals||500g||Single Medium Box|
|Canned tuna fish||185g||Single Can|
|Ambient wet soup||400g||Single Can|
|Ambient Mayonnaise||400g||Single Jar|
|Frozen Pizza||400g||Single Average Size Pizza|
|Frozen Burger||224g||4 Pack|
|Wet cat food||400g||Single Can|
|Milk - Ambient||568ml||One Pint|
|Fruit juices - Ambient||1000ml||Single Carton|
|Energy drinks||250ml||Single Can|
|Tea bags||500ml||160ct Packet|
The cost of just-food's basket increased year-on-year in Q4 2012 in five of the eight markets measured.
The US was the only market in which the price of a basket filled only with private-label goods fell in the last quarter of 2012
The US and the Netherlands were the only markets where the price gap between brands and own label increased in the last three months of the year
A mixed picture on promotions. Four of the seven markets (Greece is not included in this data) saw promotional intensity increase
Click here for analysis of the figures from SymphonyIRI's Jacques Dupré.
Sectors: Baby food, Bakery, Canned food, Cereal, Chilled foods, Commodities & ingredients, Condiments, dressings & sauces, Confectionery, Dairy, Dried foods, Fresh produce, Frozen, Ice cream, Meat & poultry, Natural & organic, Private label, Seafood, Snacks, World foods
- How Windsor buy is part of Ajinomoto's global push
- Focus: Fonterra's bid to weather dairy volatility
- On the money: Diamond's faith in on-trend range
- Industry awaits WHO reply on beefed-up ad pledges
- Focus: Does size matter for Thai Union Frozen?
- Nestle sells baby food brands Alete, Milasan
- Kerry, Premier team up on frozen NPD in UK
- Kellogg, Burton's, Ulker "on UB bid shortlist"
- Nestle forms new unit to "leverage scale"
- PepsiCo eyes Middle East growth with R&D centre