just-food authors and correspondents
Articles by Alan Osborn
Germany's confectionery industry has sided with the federal government in a clash between the ruling parties in the country’s grand coalition, over whether to impose stiffer taxes on sugar to boost public health.
Switzerland has turned down requests from EU fruit, vegetable and dairy product associations to export products to Russia through the country to bypass Moscow's trade embargo.
The EU trade association for the bloc's food and drink industries, FoodDrinkEurope, has shrugged off Brussels' claims sin taxes do reduce consumption of products high in salt, sugar and fat.
Big European food retailers have expressed their delight at a new ruling by the European Court of Justice that slapped down regulations imposed by the Spanish government to restrict the location and operations of hypermarkets in Catalonia.
The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has insisted it acted properly in the case of Dr Suzy Renkens, a former senior official engaged in GMO affairs who took up a job with the Swiss GM company Syngenta months after leaving the EU agency.
The European Commission has added three new items to its lists of quality food products with protected designation of origin (PDO) and protected geographical indication (PGI) rights.
Reforms to food import and export licensing requirements and other initiatives to reduce red tape will cut administrative costs in the EU’s Common Agricultural Policy by 25% by 2012, Brussels has announced.
Food manufacturers have expressed concern that proposals to reform European pollution controls will rob the system of flexibility.
An EU regulation banning the direct sale of untreated eggs from farms where salmonella has been detected has come into force from 1 January – a year earlier than originally planned.
The EU’s ban on imports of poultry and poultry products from the US is to stay, at least for the time being, EU agriculture ministers have decided.
- Mondelez results and outlook - 7 things to learn
- just-food's pick: Innovation on show at ISM 2016
- Can dairy-free Flora lift Unilever spreads sales?
- Talking shop: Wal-Mart overhaul, Lidl's US charge
- Can Yildiz's new snacks unit match its ambitions?
- Arla eyes job cuts as part of 2020 growth push
- Mars to cut artificial colours from global foods
- Chobani targets growth after rejecting offers
- Mondelez continues to see margins up, sales mixed
- Unilever launches dairy-free Ben & Jerry's in US