just-food authors and correspondents
Articles by Chris Mercer
Catering to a bifurcated market, the prospect of shorter supply chains and the onward march of technology were key topics for food retailers at the British Retail Consortium's annual symposium, writes Chris Mercer.
Retailers failing to invest significantly to make their business more sustainable in the face of climate change are taking a big gamble, Ocado chairman Sir Stuart Rose has warned.
Sainsbury's chief executive Justin King has questioned the Groceries Code Adjudicator role, which comes into force today (25 June).
Tesco's CEO has announced a raft of changes to its supply chain in the shadow of the horsemeat scandal, including a promise to source all fresh chicken from within the UK and the appointment of an 'agriculture director'.
Morrisons has acquired six HMV stores from the music retailer's administrator, Deloitte, as the grocer seeks to expand its presence in convenience.
Asda has begun work on a GBP70m chilled and frozen food depot in the south west of England, after receiving planning permission from local authorities.
Swiss retailer Coop has seen profits claw back some lost ground in 2012, against ongoing currency challenges and price pressure in its domestic market.
Nestle's health science division has acquired US-based Pamlab as part of the company's startegy to expand its presence in medical nutrition.
Petra Foods has seen full-year profits slide by 57% due to difficult trading conditions and one-off charges related to its soon-to-be-sold cocoa ingredients business.
New Zealand dairy co-operative Fonterra plans to invest NZD100m (US$82m) to double its UHT milk supply in order to service emerging markets in Asia.
- On the money: Unilever shifting into growth spots
- Indian conglomerate ITC sets out FMCG ambition
- On the money: Danone denies strategy overhaul
- Why whole sector should take heed of meat scrutiny
- On the money: Kellogg still struggling with cereal
- Chobani bid for fresh UK appeal rejected
- Kellogg to close US snack plant
- Danone UK ad banned over unauthorised claims
- Danone takes Mars yoghurts into more markets
- Tyson sells Mexico, Brazil ops to JBS