just-food authors and correspondents
With 12 years reporting on FMCG, Dean began at Wine & Spirit International in 2003 before joining just-drinks.com as news editor in 2005.
In April 2007, Dean crossed from drinks to food and became editor of just-food.com.
He has featured in national and international print titles from the BBC to Time magazine and on international broadcast outlets like the BBC and France 24.
Columns by Dean Best
Dean Best's views on the industry's hot issues.
Articles by Dean Best
Arla Foods has invested significantly in overseas expansion, including in emerging markets, to look for avenues for future growth. The European dairy co-op's moves in developing markets have largely centred on Russia, China and Africa but it is also stepping up its activity in Latin America. Dean Best spoke to Arla executive vice president to find out more.
German dairy giant Muller has launched a branded range of butter in the UK, targeting the country's convenience retail and foodservice sectors.
Baring Private Equity Asia has struck a deal to buy 40% of UK-based cereal group Weetabix.
South Africa's Tiger Brands grabbed the headlines this week with news of the over-stating of sales at its Kenyan arm inflating local profits last year. Elsewhere, Ireland's Total Produce lifted its earnings forecast and said it was on the look-out for more M&A. UK meat group Cranswick reported mixed annual results.
The US Department of Agriculture's development of GMO certification scheme emerged this week, adding to the debate over the labelling of foods containing genetically modified ingredients. Elsewhere in the US, Mondelez International revealed jobs will go at a biscuit plant in Chicago. Meanwhile, dairy giant Arla Foods announced a deal in Egypt with local processor Juhayna Food Industries.
South Africa-based FMCG group Tiger Brands has revealed its business in Kenya saw "manipulation" of its profits in its last financial year.
China has lifted an embargo on beef imports from Brazil three years after a cow in the country tested positive for mad-cow disease.
Mars Inc has launched a line of pre-portioned snacks in the US in a bid to tap into demand for healthier products.
ConAgra Foods is to shut a biscuit factory in the US state of Wisconsin amid falling demand.
Spanish fruit and vegetable producer bodies Coexphal and Ecohal are in talks to merge, a move they say will create one of the largest produce organisations in Europe.
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- UK Responsibility Deal must solve credibility gap
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- JBS "seeking M&A" in Americas, Australia
- General Mills launches Greek yoghurt in Australia
- Dairy Crest earnings fall
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details