just-food authors and correspondents
Jacques Dupré, IRI
Articles by Jacques Dupré, IRI
Are promotions leading to increased sales in Europe's major grocery markets? IRI's Jacques Dupré analyses how discounts are affecting sales, finding a mixed picture, and warns manufacturers of the dangers of sustained high levels of promotion.
Despite signs economic conditions in Europe are improving, competition on price remains fierce in a number of markets. However, manufacturers must use more weapons that just simply price in their quest for growth, IRI's Jacques Dupré argues.
The price gap between private label and brands did, in the main, close in the last quarter in 2012, according to the latest figures from the just-food international basket. SymphonyIRI, which compiles the data for just-food, argues the numbers support its belief that an over-use of price-based promos is dated.
- What are the implications of Brexit for UK food?
- Mondelez results and outlook - 7 things to learn
- Richelieu Foods CEO eyes growth - interview
- Foodservice focus: McDonald's/Five Guys/Starbucks
- PepsiCo 2015 results, 2016 outlook - takeaways
- PepsiCo's Nooyi: "macro challenges" will continue
- Private-equity firm HKW acquires Panos Brands
- WWF launches food security platform
- PepsiCo forecasts dip in sales growth in 2016
- Russia draws up plans for tax on palm oil