just-food authors and correspondents
Jacques Dupré, IRI
Articles by Jacques Dupré, IRI
Ramadan begins next week, a month when Muslims fast from dawn until sunset but outside those hours prepare meals with plenty of food. However, in many markets, the halal sector is in growth year-round. Jacques Dupré, director for insights at IRI, looks at manufacturers and grocers can serve a growing market for halal food in France, one of the countries with the highest Muslim populations in Europe.
Are promotions leading to increased sales in Europe's major grocery markets? IRI's Jacques Dupré analyses how discounts are affecting sales, finding a mixed picture, and warns manufacturers of the dangers of sustained high levels of promotion.
Despite signs economic conditions in Europe are improving, competition on price remains fierce in a number of markets. However, manufacturers must use more weapons that just simply price in their quest for growth, IRI's Jacques Dupré argues.
The price gap between private label and brands did, in the main, close in the last quarter in 2012, according to the latest figures from the just-food international basket. SymphonyIRI, which compiles the data for just-food, argues the numbers support its belief that an over-use of price-based promos is dated.
- Nestle on China, candy, nutrition - analysis
- Why Jet.com purchase could boost Wal-Mart online
- Interview, part 1: Emmi CEO Urs Riedener
- Murray Goulburn's FY results - 7 things to learn
- What lies ahead for Tyrrells and Amplify?
- Mondelez buys rest of Vietnam snacks business
- Australia launches dairy sector probe
- Tyson faces investor scrutiny on ethical issues
- Smucker cuts forecast as sales decline
- Mengniu grows sales but net profit slips