just-food authors and correspondents
Jacques Dupré, IRI
Articles by Jacques Dupré, IRI
Are promotions leading to increased sales in Europe's major grocery markets? IRI's Jacques Dupré analyses how discounts are affecting sales, finding a mixed picture, and warns manufacturers of the dangers of sustained high levels of promotion.
Despite signs economic conditions in Europe are improving, competition on price remains fierce in a number of markets. However, manufacturers must use more weapons that just simply price in their quest for growth, IRI's Jacques Dupré argues.
The price gap between private label and brands did, in the main, close in the last quarter in 2012, according to the latest figures from the just-food international basket. SymphonyIRI, which compiles the data for just-food, argues the numbers support its belief that an over-use of price-based promos is dated.
- How Danone aims to meet its 2020 objectives
- Greencore's food-to-go focus paying dividends
- Interview: Ritter sees growth potential in US, EU
- Will Belvita win at breakfast in China? - analysis
- Interview: How American Halal rides ethical wave
- Pinnacle to buy Boulder Brands in $975m deal
- Genius Foods buys UK gluten-free firm Chapel Foods
- Nestle combats Thai seafood supply forced labour
- Greencore profits lifted by on-the-go food focus
- Nestle to sell Jamaican dairy unit