just-food authors and correspondents
Jacques Dupré, IRI
Articles by Jacques Dupré, IRI
Are promotions leading to increased sales in Europe's major grocery markets? IRI's Jacques Dupré analyses how discounts are affecting sales, finding a mixed picture, and warns manufacturers of the dangers of sustained high levels of promotion.
Despite signs economic conditions in Europe are improving, competition on price remains fierce in a number of markets. However, manufacturers must use more weapons that just simply price in their quest for growth, IRI's Jacques Dupré argues.
The price gap between private label and brands did, in the main, close in the last quarter in 2012, according to the latest figures from the just-food international basket. SymphonyIRI, which compiles the data for just-food, argues the numbers support its belief that an over-use of price-based promos is dated.
- Rise of prepared foods in US grocers - analysis
- How are brands organising for e-commerce?
- Hershey results, outlook, M&A - the top takeaways
- Free-from firm BFree Foods - bitesize interview
- Work on sugar could stir more clean-label concerns
- Fazer buys European biscuit brands from Mondelez
- Murray Goulburn accused of "misleading" the market
- Kellogg launches Special K breakfast quiches
- Mondelez sees stronger margins, LFL growth
- Hormel targets cancer patients with new range