just-food authors and correspondents
Jacques Dupré, IRI
Articles by Jacques Dupré, IRI
Ramadan begins next week, a month when Muslims fast from dawn until sunset but outside those hours prepare meals with plenty of food. However, in many markets, the halal sector is in growth year-round. Jacques Dupré, director for insights at IRI, looks at manufacturers and grocers can serve a growing market for halal food in France, one of the countries with the highest Muslim populations in Europe.
Are promotions leading to increased sales in Europe's major grocery markets? IRI's Jacques Dupré analyses how discounts are affecting sales, finding a mixed picture, and warns manufacturers of the dangers of sustained high levels of promotion.
Despite signs economic conditions in Europe are improving, competition on price remains fierce in a number of markets. However, manufacturers must use more weapons that just simply price in their quest for growth, IRI's Jacques Dupré argues.
The price gap between private label and brands did, in the main, close in the last quarter in 2012, according to the latest figures from the just-food international basket. SymphonyIRI, which compiles the data for just-food, argues the numbers support its belief that an over-use of price-based promos is dated.
- Nestle catering for an ageing global population
- What post-Brexit trade with the EU could look like
- Unilever is "working harder" in tough environment
- What next for Nestle under new CEO Schneider?
- What delay means for UK child obesity strategy
- Kerry Foods sets its sights on C-sector
- Tesco drops John West products over sustainability
- Greencore pays GBP15m for Cranswick sandwich unit
- Job cuts imminent as General Mills restructures
- New Quaker Oats range targets wellness trend