just-food authors and correspondents
Katy Askew is just-food's deputy editor, with over five years of experience writing for consumer and business titles. She has contributed to print, online and radio publications and worked across a variety of formats, including newspapers, magazines and websites.
Katy has specialised in writing for the FMCG sector for the past four years, during which time she has developed specialist knowledge of the global food and food retail industries, interviewed top international executives and covered a range of topics from financial updates and M&A to sustainability and safety issues.
Having completed her BA at the University of Sussex and postgraduate studies at Simon Fraser University, Katy began work as a travel and property journalist with Outbound Publications.
Articles by Katy Askew
A consistent challenge facing grocers is maintaining – or strengthening – margins in a frequently hostile retail environment. This must be achieved while also developing the customer proposition and investing in growth. Keeping a lid on costs is a must but that has to be balanced against issues like pressure to raise wages, as we have seen in the UK this month, and the need to keep consumer prices low.
Grupo Bimbo is launching a flatbread in Spain.
Unilever is building on its push into branded ice cream retail with the acquisition of Italian gelato group Grom. And Unilever is not the only manufacturer working to expand its branded retail presence, particularly in "treat" or gifting categories. Katy Askew looks at the benefits branded retailing offers food manufacturers.
After five years negotiations, 12 Pacific Rim countries - including the US, Japan, Australia and New Zealand - have struck a deal that will reduce tariffs and trade barriers in the region.
The Chinese authorities are starting to implement more stringent food safety regulations under revised laws.
UK halal baby food business For Aisha has been brought out of administration by a consortium of private investors in a deal that the company said secures its future growth prospects.
Blue Moose of Boulder has said it intends to accelerate its sales growth after an investor group, led by former Bacardi CEO Ed Shirley, took a majority stake in the US houmous maker and filled leading management positions.
Ajinomoto is investing US$20m to expand its frozen rice production as it works to grow its business in North America.
Hershey has signed-up to non-profit organisation Partners in Food Solutions (PFS) to support efforts to strengthen Africa's food system.
Unilever has announced the acquisition of Grom, a premium Italian gelato maker that operates over 60 shops in Italy and around the world.
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019