just-food authors and correspondents
Mini Pant Zachariah
Articles by Mini Pant Zachariah
Poor logistics, including a lack of infrastructure and trained manpower, keep modern branded food retail from actualising its potential in India, industry experts have warned.
India's smaller towns and cities are a potential lucrative and largely untapped market for branded food retailers, food giants Nestle and Cargill have said.
Retailers that provide distinctive value-for-money products will benefit from significant opportunities to grow private label sales in India, a panel of industry experts told the seventh annual Food & Grocery Forum India.
Indian dairy Parag Milk Foods is looking to expand sales of fresh products in India's northern states through joint ventures or partnerships with dairies in the region.
The deputy chief minister of India's Punjab, Sukhbir Singh Badal, has approved the setting up of four new milk processing plants in the northerly and industrialised state.
India dairy major Tirumala Milk Products is to invest INR3bn (US$55.7m) in the construction of three milk processing and packaging plants in the country.
India's plan to create a brand to promote domestically-produced meat and meat products could fail if the links between livestock producers and processors are not strengthened, Tyson Foods' local venture has warned.
India grocery and retail giant Future Group is planning to expand its KB's Fair Price corner store format across India after a successful pilot project in New Delhi.
Indian food company Keventer Group has teamed up with local conglomerate ITC to run a noodle manufacturing plant in Kolkata.
India's US$70bn dairy sector has asked the country's government to lift the ban on export of milk and milk products, telling just-food domestic supplies are sufficiently healthy for international trading.
- M&A Watch: Emmi shareholders should consider sale
- Comment: Paying the price for eating healthily
- BRICs and beyond: Bright's international strategy
- Focus: Why French retail deals could hit suppliers
- Focus: Will Danone return to growth in dairy?
- Nestle organic sales fall on Asia, Europe
- Heinz jobs in Australasia to go in restructuring
- Nestle "disappointed" as ASA bans toddler milk ad
- Sanitarium launches oat-based breakfast drink
- Danone "eyes acquisition of Mead Johnson"