just-food authors and correspondents
Articles by Paula Krizanovic
Brazilian firm Vigor will attain a dairy plant local food giant BRF was building in Rio de Janeiro state, a source said today.
As Brazil's largest producer of biscuits and pasta, M. Dias Branco is the type of company that can provide notable insight into trading conditions in the country. just-food spoke to senior executive Geraldo Luciano Mattos about the group's recent performance and outlook for the economy.
Brazil's Vigor, created when meat giant JBS listed the business last year, wants to be the largest dairy company in the country. Two months ago, Vigor invested in rival Itambé, a deal that enabled it to take the number three spot in the Brazilian dairy sector. However, as Paula Krizanovic discovers, Vigor CEO Gilberto Xandó has grander ambitions for the business.
Argentine food manufacturer Arcor, which manufactures products from confectionery to jam, has entered the country's cereal market.
Carrefour has moved a step closer to acquiring Argentinian low-prices supermarket chain Eki.
Kraft Foods has started to produce its Milka chocolate brand in Argentina to replace imports of the product into the country from Brazil.
The Mexican arm of Kraft Foods has opened a $50m innovation and development centre in Mexico City.
Mexican bakery giant Grupo Bimbo is to build its sixth plant in Argentina.
Brazilian biscuits market leader M. Dias Branco (MDB) has acquired local rival Pelágio Participações for BRL240m (US$130.2m).
In part two of just-food's Category crunch on Brazil's biscuit sector, Paula Krizanovic argues that, with volumes slowing, acquisitions and product innovation will be key ways for local and multinational players to drive growth in a competitive market.
- On the move: What's in store from Tesco's new CEO?
- Focus: Lindt plays safe with Russell Stover buy
- On the money: Steady as she goes at Cloetta
- Comment: ConAgra failing to address core issues
- Interview: Bell hits out at German cartel ruling
- Campbell issues warning on 2014/15 fiscal year
- Ferrero seals deal for hazelnut firm Oltan
- UPDATE: Premier establishes international unit
- Premier launches Oxo pots range in UK
- Genius secures listings in French supermarkets