just-food authors and correspondents
Articles by Simon Warburton
Life on Mars, Spandau Ballet, the Fiat 500 - it seems consumers of 2009 are bombarded almost daily with retro echoes from twenty and thirty years ago. But how do food retailers concretely tap into this nostalgia for a modern audience? Garnering empirical data for the trend is still at an embryonic stage and will become a crucial tool to maintain the trend once the recession ends. Using updated advertising and harking back to old-fashioned childhood reminisces are also key, but so is new media as Simon Warburton reports.
Delhaize opened its second pilot Red Market store in the Belgian town of Andenne today (23 October).
Retail group Auchan has taken its primary steps into the Middle East with the opening of its first store in Dubai.
Convenience food group Univeg is remaining tight-lipped as to suggestions it might go public in two years.
Groupe Casino has opened a hypermarket in France aimed squarely at female consumers in the massive Odysseum complex in the city of Montpellier.
- Nomad's post-Iglo opportunities
- Comment: Nestle reacts to world of 3G and Buffett
- Focus: Can Arla jump-start UK flavoured milk?
- What the analysts say: Nestle's Q1
- The just-food interview: Bega Cheese CEO
- Arla to launch protein dairy drink in UK
- Pork Farms' Kerry pastry deal nears green light
- McCormick to move roles to Poland
- UPDATE: Iglo Foods sold to Nomad for EUR2.6bn
- ABF grocery profits up but pressure on bread