just-food authors and correspondents
Articles by Wang Fangqing
The e-commerce channel in China is buoyant - one only has to witness the recent IPO of Alibaba in the US to see that - but smaller online retailers are launching to sell targeted ranges of branded food to Chinese consumers. In a new column, Wang Fangqing reports on a start-up in the major south-western city of Chongqinq.
Documents from China's anti-graft watchdog show the extent of its warnings to COFCO - China's largest state-owned food manufacturer and trader - that it faces a risk of potential corruption.
China's state council has launched a detailed policy plan to push consolidation within the country's infant formula manufacturing sector.
Multinational companies have dominated China's infant formula market but domestic companies are, with government support, looking to bolster their position with demand expected to remain buoyant. Wang Fangqing in Shanghai reports.
Chinese dairy giant Yili Group has teamed up with US co-op Dairy Farmers of America (DFA) in a venture that will serve China's fast-growing dairy market.
Chinese branded poultry sales have been hit hard by the outbreak of the new avian flu virus H7N9 in and around Shanghai.
Major China-based meat products manufacturer, Shuanghui Group, is to invest around CNY4bn (US$632m) in 2013 to expand production capacity.
Japan-owned convenience store chain 7-Eleven is to expand in south-west China, starting in regional centres Chongqing and Chengdu.
Japanese food manufacturer Meiji is to boost its probiotics manufacturing by opening a JPY11.5bn (US$145.5m) dairy factory.
China's largest online supermarket Yihaodian is to open 1,000 virtual stores in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen.
- General Mills US "priority" categories gain share
- Interview part 2: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- 2015 preview: A better deal for M&A sellers
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Interview: How BRF plans growth in stagnant Europe
- Kraft to reappraise business, says new CEO Cahill
- General Mills earnings drop one-third
- PepsiCo opens snacks plant in Saudi Arabia
- Bimbo to buy Saputo's bakery arm
- Pork Farms "disappointed" over Kerry deal ruling