just-food authors and correspondents
Articles by Wang Fangqing
China has published new regulations on the production, registration and marketing of infant formula in the country.
China’s 2016 version of the national dietary guidelines, published by China’s National Health and Family Planning Commission, for the first time includes suggestions on daily added sugar intake, which should be "no more than 50 grams". This excludes natural sugars occurring in products such as fruit and vegetables.
Last year, more than 400 local companies in Dongguan, a major manufacturing city in China's southerly Guangdong province, went bankrupt as China's economy slowed. In stark contrast, one local bakery company - Dongguan Kam Tai Foods - earned CNY1.1bn (US$177.1m) in revenue and it is expecting to see sales grow 20% in 2015. Wang Fangqing investigates Kam Tai's recipe for success.
China-based infant formula manufacturer Beingmate is to buy 65% of a subsidiary of local dairy products company Meilijian Group.
The e-commerce channel in China is buoyant - one only has to witness the recent IPO of Alibaba in the US to see that - but smaller online retailers are launching to sell targeted ranges of branded food to Chinese consumers. In a new column, Wang Fangqing reports on a start-up in the major south-western city of Chongqinq.
Documents from China's anti-graft watchdog show the extent of its warnings to COFCO - China's largest state-owned food manufacturer and trader - that it faces a risk of potential corruption.
China's state council has launched a detailed policy plan to push consolidation within the country's infant formula manufacturing sector.
Multinational companies have dominated China's infant formula market but domestic companies are, with government support, looking to bolster their position with demand expected to remain buoyant. Wang Fangqing in Shanghai reports.
Chinese dairy giant Yili Group has teamed up with US co-op Dairy Farmers of America (DFA) in a venture that will serve China's fast-growing dairy market.
Chinese branded poultry sales have been hit hard by the outbreak of the new avian flu virus H7N9 in and around Shanghai.
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- How could a TTIP affect the food industry?
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- R&R Ice Cream names Daniel Martinez new CFO
- PepsiCo "engaging" with Indofood on child labour
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights