just-food authors and correspondents
Articles by Wang Fangqing
The e-commerce channel in China is buoyant - one only has to witness the recent IPO of Alibaba in the US to see that - but smaller online retailers are launching to sell targeted ranges of branded food to Chinese consumers. In a new column, Wang Fangqing reports on a start-up in the major south-western city of Chongqinq.
Documents from China's anti-graft watchdog show the extent of its warnings to COFCO - China's largest state-owned food manufacturer and trader - that it faces a risk of potential corruption.
China's state council has launched a detailed policy plan to push consolidation within the country's infant formula manufacturing sector.
Multinational companies have dominated China's infant formula market but domestic companies are, with government support, looking to bolster their position with demand expected to remain buoyant. Wang Fangqing in Shanghai reports.
Chinese dairy giant Yili Group has teamed up with US co-op Dairy Farmers of America (DFA) in a venture that will serve China's fast-growing dairy market.
Chinese branded poultry sales have been hit hard by the outbreak of the new avian flu virus H7N9 in and around Shanghai.
Major China-based meat products manufacturer, Shuanghui Group, is to invest around CNY4bn (US$632m) in 2013 to expand production capacity.
Japan-owned convenience store chain 7-Eleven is to expand in south-west China, starting in regional centres Chongqing and Chengdu.
Japanese food manufacturer Meiji is to boost its probiotics manufacturing by opening a JPY11.5bn (US$145.5m) dairy factory.
China's largest online supermarket Yihaodian is to open 1,000 virtual stores in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen.
- Why Heinz-Kraft merger could herald more deals
- Focus: Can Mars gain share in Indian chocolate?
- The challenges awaiting ConAgra's new CEO
- Analysis: Is Heinz, Kraft merger "a growth story"?
- Spotlight: Aryzta's surprise retail investment
- Mondelez coy on Philadelphia sale rumours
- Aryzta in talks to buy 49% of French grocer Picard
- Kraft, Mondelez charged with rigging wheat prices
- Innocent to axe veg, noodle pots
- Glanbia quits PZ Cussons Nigeria venture