Ahold's shares rose yesterday after the retail giant's fourth-quarter margins beat market forecasts. However, some analysts believe the Dutc...
Ahold shares dropped today (14 Novermber) after the Netherlands-based retailer warned its domestic market share is coming under pressure. Ho...
Dutch retailer Ahold has said it will continue to evaluate its price positioning in the US as retailers in the country face pressure on sale...
US retail giant Kroger this week struck a deal to buy regional supermarket chain Harris Teeter in a deal worth US$2.44bn. Analysts believe t...
Sweden-based retailer ICA now has one owner after Ahold, the Dutch retail giant and its largest shareholder, sold out to venture partner Hakon Invest, the Swedish investment fund. Michelle Russell spoke with Hakon CFO Göran Blomberg about Hakon's strategy for the business and the benefits he hopes the deal will bring.
Netherlands-based food retail group Ahold has recently committed itself to a range of sustainability targets. Speaking with Ben Cooper for this month's Sustainability Watch, Ahold's executive vice president and chief corporate governance counsel, Lodewijk Hijmans van den Bergh, expands on the company's approach to sustainability and the need to balance ambition and pragmatism.
The biggest story of the week came as it started - with the announcement of the proposed merger between banana giants Chiquita Brands International and Fyffes. Elsewhere, UK grocers Morrisons and The Co-operative Group grabbed the headlines - the former for its bid to revive sales and the latter for the resignation of its chief executive.
Ahold today (11 March) announced a deal to buy Spar International's business in the Czech Republic.
Shares in Ahold climbed today (27 February) despite a drop in fourth-quarter net income after the Dutch retail giant's operating profit and margins came in above analyst forecasts.
US group Hain Celestial swooped again in the UK last week, snapping up UK rice business Tilda. Meanwhile, obesity grabbed UK headlines with warnings forecasts for the condition could have under-estimated the problem. Fonterra issued another product recall, Saputo received a boost in its bid to buy Warrnambool Cheese and Butter Factory, while our first just-food interview of 2014 saw us meet Quorn Foods CEO Kevin Brennan.
A fall in fourth-quarter sales in the US hit shares in Giant Food and Stop & Shop owner Ahold in early trade today (16 January).
Off our beat but food manufacturers serving the US foodservice sector should note the proposed takeover of US Foods by rival Sysco.
It's a public holiday in the UK today (26 August) - thankfully the sun is just breaking through here in south London to help us bask in our Ashes victory - and, while we take a day's break, here are some of last week's top interviews, comment and analysis in case you missed them.
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- On the money: Hain expects continued organic gains
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Profits up at chocolate group Lindt
- Dr Oetker to buy McCain North America pizza arm
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: Merger and Acquisitions May 2014
- Colombia - ISA Country Report
- Food Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide