Large publicly-owned multinationals, such as Unilever and PepsiCo, are widely praised for showing leadership in corporate sustainability. In this month's Sustainability Watch, Roberto Ciati, sustainability director at Italian pasta, sauces and baked goods group Barilla, discusses how private, family ownership can inform a progressive approach to sustainability.
Boulder Brands is a business under a decade old but one now approaching annual sales of over US$450m. CEO Stephen Hughes set up an investment vehicle in 2005 that became Smart Balance in 2007 when it acquired GFA Brands, the owner of the Smart Balance brand. However, in the last two years, with the spreads sector under pressure, Hughes has brought balance to the business with moves into gluten free - and changed its name to reflect its wider portfolio. In part one of a two-part interview, Hughes discusses Boulder Brands' buoyant gluten-free business.
Barilla has launched a pasta range "specifically designed" for the Chinese market.
Barilla and US online grocer Peapod have teamed up to launch pasta meal kits.
A busy week for third quarter results, with several packaged food giants reporting profit pressure. Danone extended its tie-up with Mengniu in China and Premier Foods discussed international growth. Here is just-food's week in words.
Italian food group Barilla is to relaunch its namesake pasta into one of the UK's Big Four grocers - and is drawing up plans to also roll out sauces.
Italian food group Barilla has reported an increase in profits in 2013.
Barilla has attempted to dig itself out of a massive, PR nightmare of a hole, after its CEO recently sparked outrage by saying he would never use gay couples in commercials.
Unilever USA's Bertolli and Nestle's Buitoni USA have chosen social media as a way of capitalising on the furore surrounding a recent campaign by one of its closest rivals.
- Focus: Danone CEO Faber puts stamp on business
- Cleaning up Tesco will have mixed supplier impact
- The just-food interview: Doux CEO Arnaud Marion
- General Mills US "priority" categories gain share
- 2015 preview: A better deal for M&A sellers
- General Mills outlines "aggressive" NPD drive
- Coles supplier payments broke competition law
- Lay's heads "billionaire food brands" list
- PepsiCo opens snacks plant in Saudi Arabia
- Wessanen to buy dairy-free drinks firm Abafoods