Costcutter CEO Darcy Willson-Rymer has told just-food the UK c-store group's new venture with wholesaler Palmer & Harvey will benefit independent retailers and suppliers.
Tesco-owned UK convenience business One Stop Stores is to trial a franchise model with local independent retailers.
Morrisons last week announced firmer plans for an online food service - and the UK retailer could join forces with specialist Ocado. Larger rival Tesco, meanwhile, launched its own price-comparison scheme to lure in customers. Tesco, however, attracted more headlines on horsemeat with another recall. On a separate note, an Irish meat firm was said to know its beef was contaminated a year ago. Dole Food Co., Chiquita and Diamond Foods were among companies announcing results and, on the M&A front, UK firm Burton's Biscuit Co. could soon be up for grabs.
Food prices - or the prospect of inflation - was a hot topic last week. A vote by the European Parliament to extend sugar quotas to 2020 was criticised, while proposed US changes to country-of-origin labelling were also argued to be set to lead to higher prices. Meanwhile, a drought in Spain is causing concern over global olive oil prices.
Independent convenience operator Costcutter and distribution giant Palmer & Harvey have inked a deal to create the UK's second-largest convenience chain and form a buying joint venture.
UK retailer The Co-operative Group is to buy ten Costcutter stores in London for an undisclosed sum.
Costcutter Supermarkets Group Limited: Retailing - Company P
Canadean's "Costcutter Supermarkets Group Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a compan...
- Comment: Nestle reacts to world of 3G and Buffett
- Why it is too early to call Unilever food revival
- France takes big step to uniform FOP labels
- What the analysts say: The verdict on Danone's Q1
- How will Flowers Foods grow in speciality bread?
- Unilever food, refreshment sales rise
- Fonterra says rain needed to maintain milk supply
- Organic food sales in US up 11% in 2014
- Yildiz Holding "draws bids for dairy arm Ak Gida"
- UPDATE: Danone CEO upbeat on 2015 growth