Grocers undoubtedly felt the economic pressures in 2012 with discounters enjoying buoyant growth as a result of an increase in value-seeking...
You can take your pick of French apothegms: "Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose," or, more succinctly: "Déjà vu." Either way, industr...
Carrefour is a retailer regularly in the industry headlines and yesterday the French retail giant issued its first-quarter sales figures. An...
If last week's common theme was rising commodity costs, this week's focus was firmly on mergers, acquisitions and disposals, with retailers...
Spain-based discounter Dia has reportedly hired bankers to look at the potential sale of its operations in France.
This week Unilever was gain rumoured to be looking to sell a food brand - this time Ragu pasta sauces. UK group Premier Foods announced a new refinancing package, while in the US, a mega-merger in the retail sector is on the cards, after Albertsons owner and private-equity firm Cerberus Capital Management struck a deal to buy Safeway.
Lidi is to spend EUR180m in Spain this year on new stores, improving ranges in existing outlets and opening another warehouse in the country.
Dia, the Spain-based discount retailer, saw earnings rise in 2013, boosted by "outstanding profitability" in Iberia.
Spanish discounter Dia has revealed it has held initial talks to buy local supermarket chain Grupo El Arbol - but no deal has been reached.
- SIAL 2014: Greek yoghurt firm Fage targets Europe
- On the money: Spreads, ice cream top Unilever woes
- Focus: Will Danone return to growth in dairy?
- Why Nestle is relaxed about the China "drag"
- Growth question hangs over refocused Premier
- SIAL 2014: Premier in talks over US manufacturing
- Kellogg, Nestle slammed for "chaotic" salt policy
- Premier cautious on profits after Q3 sales slide
- Mars puts R&D at centre of US plant expansion
- Italy warns of EUR200m hit from Russia ban