Price is becoming an ever more significant issue in the UK grocery sector. Squeezed consumers and pressured retailers are increasingly focus...
It hardly even seems to count as news: the German discounters continue to make strides in the UK. The trend has been in evidence for years n...
Premier Foods plc, the UK food group, appears to have a solid strategy in place - but whether it can succeed in eking out top-line growth in...
In a surprise move, Sainsbury's has reacted to the continued growth of discount retailers in the UK with a venture to bring the Netto banner...
The ice cream sector in Europe is dominated by Unilever, the consumer goods giant behind brands like Wall's, Magnum, Carte d'Or and Ben & Jerry's. However, UK-based R&R Ice Cream is building a business to be the other major player in the market. In this month's just-food interview, Dean Best spoke to R&R chief executive James Lambert about the company's ambitions.
The rise of the discounters has been one of the year's key trends in grocery retailing. Shoppers, beset by concerns over the economy, have looked to the likes of Aldi and Lidl for greater value. In this month's just the answer interview, Daniel Lucht, senior analyst at retail watchers Verdict Research, tells Dean Best why the discounters should push on in 2009, despite growing competition on price from the likes of Tesco and Carrefour.
This week, Emmi flogged its Italian Trentilatte yoghurt business, while Kellogg sold the Loma Linda brand to Atlantic Natural Foods. Elsewhere, UK baker Finsbury Food Group moved to buy local peer Fletchers Group, while US private-equity firm BBX Capital made its second confectionery acquisition in a week. At the annual IGD Convention in London, UK retail veteran Andrew Higginson caused a stir by hitting out at the country's grocers.
Andrew Higginson, the deputy chairman of Morrisons and former Tesco finance director, has said branded suppliers and supermarkets must "reset" their relationship in a bid to revive a stagnant sector.
The growth of the discount and convenience channels in the UK has led to a "renaissance" for some of Premier Foods' smaller brands, Gavin Darby, the company's chief executive, said today (7 October).
Discount retailers' share of the UK grocery market will almost double by 2019, according to forecasts from industry analysts IGD.
Discount retailer Lidl is reportedly looking to expand into the US by 2018.
Management at the UK's largest retailers are seeing the pressure mount. As sales continue to disappoint and market share continues to be eroded, some serious questions are being asked about the strategic direction pursued by the likes of Morrisons and Tesco.
Morrisons management may be feeling the heat today (28 April) after a scathing attack on strategy from a former director made weekend headlines.
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Prospects for protein: Snacks growth to continue
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Live blog: Food Matters Live
- Raisio buys UK, Ireland and Belgium Benecol ops
- Lactalis submits takeover bid for Arab Dairy
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- Dairy Product Production in China
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report