French retail giant Carrefour has announced plans to expand further into Africa through a joint venture with consumer goods distributor CFAO...
Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer, plans to spend an eye-watering $12-13bn on expansion in its next financial year. However, the amount...
South African competition regulators yesterday (31 May) approved Wal-Mart's acquisition of a majority stake in local retailer Massmart. Katy...
Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer, has received two pieces of good news in its bid to continue its expansion into the world's emerging...
Tesco's full-year results proved disappointing, as expected, and CEO Bill Stritz has said online retailing has played a huge part. Elsewhere first quarter results were out and Co-op saw heavy losses. It has now decided to get rid of some of the Somerfield stores and focus on its convenience offering. There were developments on the Michael Foods acquisition with Post Holdings announcing it had taken over the firm in a US$2.45bn deal. Other acquisitions this week included Daelman's purchase of UK firm Fabulous Bakin' Boys and PE firm Abraaj's acquisition of North African confectioner Kool Foods.
South-African retailer Massmart has announced the resignation of its CEO Grant Pattison.
South African retailer Massmart is set to open seven "low-income" stores in Nigeria during 2014, a spokesperson for the company told just-food today (17 March).
Asda has named former Tesco executive Alex Russo as it new CFO.
An increased contribution from less-profitable food sales and higher expenses hit Massmart's first-half earnings, although the South African retailer grew sales during the six-month period.
Nestle is reportedly planning on upping its presence in Nigeria. In the past six years, the world's largest food manufacturer has injected US$400m into its Nigerian business and has plans to spend $70m this year.
Food Retail in South Africa
Introduction Food Retail in South Africa industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). Th......
Retailing in Nigeria
The retailing sector in Nigeria continues to expand, with value sales increasing strongly in 2013 and faster than real GDP. Growth is being fuelled by the increase in the size of the Nigerian populati...
Grocery Retailers in South Africa
Grocery retailers remained the most dynamic channel in South Africa in 2013: while other channels such as such as mixed retailers and health and beauty specialist retailers, saw stronger current value...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Global factors hold sway over UK milk prices
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Greencore expands UK, US sales
- Yildiz prepares to list dairy arm AK Gida
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits