Pick n Pay
Tesco was in the spotlight this week after the publication of its annual results confirmed what a challenging year the UK's largest retailer endured. Another UK grocer under scrutiny is The Co-operative Group, which reported banking-induced losses, but revealed it is re-sizing its food retail estate to give it more focus. Elsewhere, China's WH Group, of which Smithfield Foods is now a part, announced plans to list in Hong Kong and US group Post Holdings made another M&A move, with a deal to buy egg-to-dairy supplier Michael Foods.
South African retailer Pick n Pay has revealed it is looking at ways to enter Nigeria.
South African retailer Pick n Pay has booked an increase in first-half earnings, boosted by tighter cost control, increased sales and improved gross margin.
South African retailer Pick n Pay today (4 September) confirmed that it will lay off 400 administrative workers as it works to boost efficiency.
A raft of companies report to the market next week, including UK-based food group Associated British Foods, which is set to unveil its half-year results. Data for the first quarter of 2013 will continue to come in, with Unilever, Hershey and Premier Foods plc among those set to publish numbers.
Nestle is reportedly planning on upping its presence in Nigeria. In the past six years, the world's largest food manufacturer has injected US$400m into its Nigerian business and has plans to spend $70m this year.
- Why data is key to shopper satisfaction
- On the money: Spreads, ice cream top Unilever woes
- Interview: Premier sets sights overseas
- Short-termism decides Chiquita's future
- Sustainability Watch: Roberto Ciati, Barilla
- Glanbia chairman to step down
- General Mills to launch "Ancient Grains" Cheerios
- Hershey lowers FY sales, earnings forecasts
- Kellogg earnings beat forecast but sales pressured
- Mondelez evaluating Oreo production in Morocco
- Supermarkets in China
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Pubs & Bars in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Consumer Trends Analysis: Understanding Consumer Trends and Drivers of Behavior in the Chinese Confectionery Food Market
- Kerry Group plc - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report