R&R Ice Cream
James Lambert, CEO of UK-based R&R Ice Cream, has suggested the company's plan to buy local rival Fredericks Dairies will give retailers a "real alternative" to market leader Unilever.
The ice cream sector in Europe is dominated by Unilever, the consumer goods giant behind brands like Wall's, Magnum, Carte d'Or and Ben & Jerry's. However, UK-based R&R Ice Cream is building a business to be the other major player in the market. In this month's just-food interview, Dean Best spoke to R&R chief executive James Lambert about the company's ambitions.
R&R Ice Cream is developing a new ice cream range with Tesco after the UK retailer delisted Chokablok ice cream, the brand the two companies had created three years ago.
Burton's Biscuit Co. has announced the appointment James Lambert as chairman of the company.
US meats group Hillshire Brands has this week turned from hunter to hunted. With its offer for Pinnacle Foods on the table, the Jimmy Dean sausages maker is the subject of two takeover bids from JBS-backed Pilgrim's Pride and then Tyson Foods, looking to boost their meat empires with higher-margin products. Elsewhere, Sweden-based confectioner Cloetta snapped up Ireland's The Jelly Bean Factory, Nestle and Fonterra revamped their venture in South America and R&R Ice Cream bought Australia's Peters Food Group.
Hitting headlines this week was the bidding war for Hillshire Brands which saw Tyson Foods and Pilgrim's Pride both go head to head. Elsewhere, Peters Food Group was acquired by R&R Ice Cream, while Nestle and Fonterra issued a statement saying they were scaling back their Latin American partnership. Also this week, Synlait Milk announced it was revising its 2014 earnings outlook and Danish Crown announced 190 jobs would go as it chose to close its Bornholm slaughterhouse.
European private-label ice cream manufacturer R&R Ice Cream has acquired Australian consumer business Peters Food Group for an undisclosed sum.
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Prospects for protein: Snacks growth to continue
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Live blog: Food Matters Live
- Raisio buys UK, Ireland and Belgium Benecol ops
- Lactalis submits takeover bid for Arab Dairy
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- Dairy Product Production in China
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report