French retail giant Carrefour has announced plans to expand further into Africa through a joint venture with consumer goods distributor CFAO...
South African competition regulators yesterday (31 May) approved Wal-Mart's acquisition of a majority stake in local retailer Massmart. Katy...
With food retailers facing a mixed bag as the global economic downturn bites, it is becoming clear that some are faring better than others. Earlier this month, Pick n Pay, South Africa’s largest grocery retailer, was named international retailer of the year by the US-based National Retail Federation. In January’s just-food interview, Katy Humphries spoke with Pick n Pay’s chief executive Nick Badminton about the company’s recipe for success and the challenges that lay ahead.
Shoprite Holdings has booked an increase in half-year sales and profits despite what South Africa-based grocer described as "difficult" domestic trading conditions
South African supermarket operator Shoprite Holdings has booked an increase in first-half sales, boosted by growth from its businesses in the rest of Africa.
South African supermarket operator Shoprite Holdings saw its earnings climb in the first half of the year, despite what it described as a "difficult" trading environment.
South African supermarket operator Shoprite Holdings has booked an increase in full-year sales but said revenues slowed in the second half amid weaker consumer spending in its domestic market.
South African supermarket operator Shoprite Holdings said it has maintained its "robust and established" growth pattern, booking an increase in half-year profits.
- BRICs and beyond: Fonterra, Beingmate partnership
- On the money: Mengniu hones in on "star" brands
- Comment: Competition to rise on whey investments
- just-food interview: Agropur CEO Robert Coallier
- Consuming issues: The hunger-obesity paradox
- Valio lactose-free trucks stopped at Russia border
- H1 profits down at dairy group FrieslandCampina
- UK firm Pasta Reale enters administration
- Bisco Misr says Kellogg eyeing majority stake
- Valio targets China with EUR70m whey inve