French retail giant Carrefour has announced plans to expand further into Africa through a joint venture with consumer goods distributor CFAO...
South African competition regulators yesterday (31 May) approved Wal-Mart's acquisition of a majority stake in local retailer Massmart. Katy...
With food retailers facing a mixed bag as the global economic downturn bites, it is becoming clear that some are faring better than others. Earlier this month, Pick n Pay, South Africa’s largest grocery retailer, was named international retailer of the year by the US-based National Retail Federation. In January’s just-food interview, Katy Humphries spoke with Pick n Pay’s chief executive Nick Badminton about the company’s recipe for success and the challenges that lay ahead.
Zambeef has said underlying annual losses will be lower than market expectations after factors that hit the the Zambia-based food group in its first half eased in the second part of its financial year.
Shoprite Holdings has booked an increase in half-year sales and profits despite what South Africa-based grocer described as "difficult" domestic trading conditions
South African supermarket operator Shoprite Holdings has booked an increase in first-half sales, boosted by growth from its businesses in the rest of Africa.
South African supermarket operator Shoprite Holdings saw its earnings climb in the first half of the year, despite what it described as a "difficult" trading environment.
South African supermarket operator Shoprite Holdings has booked an increase in full-year sales but said revenues slowed in the second half amid weaker consumer spending in its domestic market.
- Focus: Will Danone return to growth in dairy?
- Why Nestle is relaxed about the China "drag"
- Comment: Paying the price for eating healthily
- Focus: Why French retail deals could hit suppliers
- M&A Watch: Emmi shareholders should consider sale
- SIAL 2014: Premier in talks over US manufacturing
- Danone "eyes acquisition of Mead Johnson"
- Symington's acquires Tanfield Foods
- Nestle organic sales fall on Asia, Europe
- Heinz silent over Polish factory expansion talk