The food business blog from Dean Best
If you would like to offer your comments, opinions, suggest topics or just have a good rant, please feel free to email: Dean Best.
Five months after Cargill's rumoured interest to buy Archer Daniels Midland's cocoa and chocolate businesses came to nothing, the company today (2 September) announced a deal for part of the assets...
Fresh produce growers in the EU have secured assistance from the European Commission in the wake of the Russian embargo and Brussels has indicated it would be prepared to step in again...
A quick note to say we are closed on Monday (25 August) for a public holiday in England and Wales - but there's plenty for you to peruse on the site before we return on Tuesday...
The takeover battle for Family Dollar Stores has taken another twist, with the US retailer rejecting a takeover bid from rival Dollar General and in-the-spotlight CEO Howard Levine citing anti-trust concerns...
The UK government has insisted there was no moves to block the review of the UK food supply chain and said it will published "shortly"...
The EU said today (11 August) a "joined up" response across the bloc is needed to Russia's move to ban a swathe of food imports from the market...
It may have been Cadbury that made the first high-profile move on sustainable cocoa in the UK when it switched Dairy Milk to Fairtrade in 2009. However, Nestle has claimed it will be the "first major confectionery company" in the market to use only sustainable cocoa by the end of next year...
Acosta Sales & Marketing, the US agency that works on in-store executions with US FMCG giants, has been snapped up by Carlyle. But was the multiple the private-equity firm is said to have paid too pricey?..
Japan's Itochu in another agrifood deal 28 Jul 14
Almost a year after buying Dole Food Co.'s international packaged food and Asian fresh businesses, Japanese trading house Itochu Corp. has looked again to the wider agrifood sector to diversify its business interests...
There has been an increase in M&A among companies in the food sector in recent months - and management consultants at EY expect to the trend to continue...
- BRICs and beyond: Fonterra, Beingmate partnership
- Comment: Competition to rise on whey investments
- On the money: Mengniu hones in on "star" brands
- just-food interview: Agropur CEO Robert Coallier
- Consuming issues: The hunger-obesity paradox
- Valio lactose-free trucks stopped at Russia border
- Heinz halves sugar in ketchup launch
- H1 profits down at dairy group FrieslandCampina
- Bisco Misr says Kellogg eyeing majority stake
- Olam sells Cote d'Ivoire dairy to FrieslandCampina
- China - ISA Country Report
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- Other Dairy in Russia
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Food and Grocery Retailing, 2013-2018: Market Dynamics, Retail Trends and Competitive Landscape