Arla, Milk Link continues UK dairy consolidation
The combination of Danish-Swedish co-op Arla Foods and UK counterpart Milk Link is the latest deal in the country's dairy sector following Muller's takeover of Robert Wiseman Dairies earlier this year.
Arla Foods and Milk Link have revealed plans to merge their operations in the UK. If approved, the combined entity would become the largest dairy processor in the market. In this month's just-food interview, Peter Lauritzen, CEO of Arla UK, and Neil Kennedy, chief executive of Milk Link, speak to Katy Askew about the benefits the proposal would bring the companies and their farmer-owners.
That there was another piece of consolidation in the UK dairy sector was not in itself a surprise but the identity of the participants in the latest deal, announced this morning (22 May) may have raised a few eyebrows.
Dairy giant Arla Foods has announced a proposed merger with Germany's eighth largest dairy co-operative, Milch-Union Hocheifel (MUH).
Arla Foods has announced plans to merge with UK dairy farmer co-operative Milk Link in a deal that would create the country's largest dairy group.
Arla Foods has indicated it is mulling further efficiency gains having yesterday (15 May) announced 250 job cuts as it restructures its global business.
Arla Foods is to axe 250 jobs after deciding to make a number of structural changes to its global business in a bid to cut costs and "reduce complexity" within the organisation.
Dairy giant Arla Foods said today (23 February) that 2012 profits would be "on par" with last year, when its consumer brands and ingredients divisions boosted earnings.
Muller and Robert Wiseman Dairies are talking up the benefits of the German yoghurt maker's planned takeover of the UK milk supplier but profits in the sector have been under pressure in recent months.
- Mondelez results and outlook - 7 things to learn
- just-food's pick: Innovation on show at ISM 2016
- Can dairy-free Flora lift Unilever spreads sales?
- Talking shop: Wal-Mart overhaul, Lidl's US charge
- Foodservice focus: McDonald's/Five Guys/Starbucks
- Mars to cut artificial colours from global foods
- Arla eyes job cuts as part of 2020 growth push
- Chobani targets growth after rejecting offers
- Nestle to acquire remaining stake in Osem
- Nestle to invests in French infant formula plant