Arla, Milk Link continues UK dairy consolidation
The combination of Danish-Swedish co-op Arla Foods and UK counterpart Milk Link is the latest deal in the country's dairy sector following Muller's takeover of Robert Wiseman Dairies earlier this year.
Arla Foods and Milk Link have revealed plans to merge their operations in the UK. If approved, the combined entity would become the largest dairy processor in the market. In this month's just-food interview, Peter Lauritzen, CEO of Arla UK, and Neil Kennedy, chief executive of Milk Link, speak to Katy Askew about the benefits the proposal would bring the companies and their farmer-owners.
That there was another piece of consolidation in the UK dairy sector was not in itself a surprise but the identity of the participants in the latest deal, announced this morning (22 May) may have raised a few eyebrows.
Dairy giant Arla Foods has announced a proposed merger with Germany's eighth largest dairy co-operative, Milch-Union Hocheifel (MUH).
Arla Foods has announced plans to merge with UK dairy farmer co-operative Milk Link in a deal that would create the country's largest dairy group.
Arla Foods has indicated it is mulling further efficiency gains having yesterday (15 May) announced 250 job cuts as it restructures its global business.
Arla Foods is to axe 250 jobs after deciding to make a number of structural changes to its global business in a bid to cut costs and "reduce complexity" within the organisation.
Dairy giant Arla Foods said today (23 February) that 2012 profits would be "on par" with last year, when its consumer brands and ingredients divisions boosted earnings.
Muller and Robert Wiseman Dairies are talking up the benefits of the German yoghurt maker's planned takeover of the UK milk supplier but profits in the sector have been under pressure in recent months.
- Focus: Why ABF is making bread better-for-you
- Why China was central to Nestle executive change
- just the answer: Gardein founder Yves Potvin
- Analysis: Quality, innovation driving Chinese milk
- Comment: How dairy can leverage nutrition
- Kellogg CEO: sales trends are improving
- Finsbury buys Johnstone's Just Desserts
- Oreo, gum propels Mondelez in China
- General Mills cuts Yoplait sugar by 25%
- Dean Foods brings milk brands under single label
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Seasonings, Dressings & Sauces Market: Merger and Acquisitions February 2015
- Consumer and Market Insights: Confectionery Market in the UK
- Food and beverage packaging today – what’s next?
- North America Food & Beverage Stabilizers and Systems Market – Analysis and Forecast upto 2019