Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway, 3G Capital to buy Heinz
In a surprise announcement this morning (14 February), Heinz agreed to be bought by Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway fund and private-equity firm 3G Capital for US$28bn - the largest-ever takeover in the food sector.
Heinz stunned the global food industry with news it had agreed to a US$28bn takeover offer from Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway fund and private-equity firm 3G Capital - purported to be the largest-ever deal in the sector. Dean Best looks at what could lie ahead for the US food giant.
The US Securities and Exchange Commission has launched legal action against unknown traders over claims they broke rules when trading in Heinz options before the US$28bn deal to buy the food giant was announced.
Heinz chief Bill Johnson today (14 February) insisted the US food giant has the potential to get "bigger and better" under the ownership of investment funds Berkshire Hathaway and 3G Capital.
Famed US investor Warren Buffett today (14 February) labelled Heinz as his "kind of company" after his Berkshire Hathaway fund struck a deal to pay US$28bn for the ketchup giant.
Heinz has agreed to be bought by Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway fund and private-equity firm 3G Capital for US$28bn - the largest-ever takeover in the food sector.
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Global factors hold sway over UK milk prices
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Premier Foods hails "improving" sales trends
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report