Inauguration day: the implications for US food policy
As President Barack Obama takes office for a second term, just-food takes a look at his approach to food legislation and what the food industry might expect in the next four years.
Today (21 January) sees Barack Obama's second inauguration as President of the United States, an appropriate juncture to look ahead to what the next four years may have in store in terms of US food policy.
President Obama is looking to increase the US Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) budget for fiscal 2013 by 17%, resulting in an increase in industry fees.
Earlier this week, US First Lady Michelle Obama unveiled a Task Force action plan calling on food manufacturers to curb the marketing of unhealthy foods to children. Here we take a closer look at the report and its recommendations.
First Lady Michelle Obama today (11 May) unveiled a Task Force action plan calling on food manufacturers to curb the marketing of unhealthy foods to children.
US First Lady Michelle Obama has been urged to do more to encourage the food industry to tackle child obesity after she launched a healthy-eating drive in the US yesterday (9 February).
US First Lady Michelle Obama today (9 February) launched 'Let's Move', a drive designed to cut obesity levels among children in the country.
President Obama has made tackling childhood obesity and nutrition a key priority. The FDA’s recent announcement on nutritional labelling demonstrates the administration’s willingness to act in areas where it deems self-regulation to have been ineffective, Ben Cooper writes, and this proactive approach may not be confined to food labelling.
The Obama administration has unveiled a series of measures designed to toughen food safety standards and strengthen the enforcement powers of regulatory bodies in the US.
- just-food's pick: Innovation on show at ISM 2016
- What are the implications of Brexit for UK food?
- Mondelez results and outlook - 7 things to learn
- Richelieu Foods CEO eyes growth - interview
- Foodservice focus: McDonald's/Five Guys/Starbucks
- PepsiCo's Nooyi: "macro challenges" will continue
- Private-equity firm HKW acquires Panos Brands
- Mars to cut artificial colours from global foods
- Chobani targets growth after rejecting offers
- WWF launches food security platform