just-food's outlook for 2013
Our team of writers gaze into their crystal balls and - with the help of industry experts - predict what the year holds for NPD, M&A, international retail and sustainability.
If innovation is the lifeblood of a healthy brand, then getting that innovation right is key to growth. Over the coming year, we are likely to see a swathe of development across the food sector. However, success will hinge on a good understanding of consumer trends. It will identify a growing demand or niche that is yet to be filled. Katy Askew takes a look at some of the key consumer trends that are likely to drive innovation during 2013.
As food companies continue to develop their sustainability strategies and improve performance across a range of environmental and social criteria, issues such as water efficiency, carbon emissions, the use of renewable energy, climate-friendly packaging and sustainable agriculture will all be much discussed during the coming 12 months. However, for the food industry this may be a year when one particular subject eclipses all others, and that issue is food waste. Ben Cooper reports.
There may be caution over the prospect for blockbuster deals in a dilapidated economic environment, but the food sector mergers and acquisitions table still has plenty to whet the appetite.
2012 was undoubtedly a year of economic pressure for grocery retailers, as consumer spending continued to constrict. With little less pressure expected in 2013, will we see the trend towards internationalisation slow further? Michelle Russell takes a look at some of the key trends that will shape the international retail scene.
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Prospects for protein: Snacks growth to continue
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Bird flu leads Dutch to stop poultry distribution
- Live blog: Food Matters Live
- Arla eyes infant formula firms with lactose plant
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- Dairy Product Production in China
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report