just-food's outlook for 2013
Our team of writers gaze into their crystal balls and - with the help of industry experts - predict what the year holds for NPD, M&A, international retail and sustainability.
If innovation is the lifeblood of a healthy brand, then getting that innovation right is key to growth. Over the coming year, we are likely to see a swathe of development across the food sector. However, success will hinge on a good understanding of consumer trends. It will identify a growing demand or niche that is yet to be filled. Katy Askew takes a look at some of the key consumer trends that are likely to drive innovation during 2013.
As food companies continue to develop their sustainability strategies and improve performance across a range of environmental and social criteria, issues such as water efficiency, carbon emissions, the use of renewable energy, climate-friendly packaging and sustainable agriculture will all be much discussed during the coming 12 months. However, for the food industry this may be a year when one particular subject eclipses all others, and that issue is food waste. Ben Cooper reports.
There may be caution over the prospect for blockbuster deals in a dilapidated economic environment, but the food sector mergers and acquisitions table still has plenty to whet the appetite.
2012 was undoubtedly a year of economic pressure for grocery retailers, as consumer spending continued to constrict. With little less pressure expected in 2013, will we see the trend towards internationalisation slow further? Michelle Russell takes a look at some of the key trends that will shape the international retail scene.
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Nestle's focus on food for health - interview
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Healthier food a major opportunity for food makers
- Brexit – US confirms commitment to TTIP with EU
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016