Nestle reveals cocoa child labour findings
An investigation, set up at the behest of the Kit Kat manufacturer, has shown child labour exists in its cocoa supply chain and the world's largest food company has pledged to act.
Ben Cooper believes Nestle's response to the investigation into its Ivory Coast cocoa supply chain by the Fair Labor Association has the potential to move the needle on what has been frequently described as an intractable issue.
Cocoa processors including Cargill and Archer Daniels Midland could be encouraged to follow the example of Nestle and launch investigations into their cocoa supply chains, the head of the Fair Labor Association has told just-food.
An investigation by the Fair Labor Association (FLA) into Nestle's cocoa supply chain in Ivory Coast has uncovered numerous breaches of its supplier code and most crucially extensive use of child labour. Ben Cooper examines the FLA findings and their implications.
An investigation into Nestle's cocoa supply chain has revealed "numerous violations" of its labour code, notably with regard to child labour.
Nestle's plan to partner with the Fair Labor Association in investigating the use of child labour in its cocoa supply chain could raise the bar in terms of corporate accountability regarding this long-running problem. Ben Cooper reports.
A decade of industry efforts to curb the use of child labour in cocoa farming has made progress - but the pace of change has angered campaigners. Nestle this week announced a new plan to try to tackle the issue and, while the Swiss food giant insists it is committed to the existing initiatives, it appears the company wants to take control of its own fortunes in this area. Ben Cooper reports.
A body that campaigns against human trafficking has welcomed Nestlé's investigation into whether cocoa farms that supply its factories use child labour.
- Why Nestle is relaxed about the China "drag"
- SIAL 2014: Greek yoghurt firm Fage targets Europe
- Focus: Will Danone return to growth in dairy?
- On the money: Spreads, ice cream top Unilever woes
- SIAL: French firm Michel et Augustin to enter US
- SIAL 2014: Premier in talks over US manufacturing
- Symington's acquires Tanfield Foods
- Kellogg, Nestle slammed for "chaotic" salt policy
- Heinz silent over Polish factory expansion talk
- Danone "eyes acquisition of Mead Johnson"