Responsibility Deal gets industry talking
Food producers and retailers have come under renewed pressure to show they are taking serious steps to cut fat, salt and sugar from foods. The Government has called on UK food industry leaders to engage more companies in the Responsibility Deal on health or risk the government imposing regulation.
UK ministers and food industry leaders are keen to expand the reach of the Responsibility Deal in 2013 to show its many doubters that voluntary pledges can help to deliver healthier diets for consumers. Step forward Dr Susan Jebb, who, as chair of food portion of the deal, has the dubious honour of trying to keep everybody happy, at least some of the time.
Public health minister Anna Soubry has told UK food industry leaders they must engage more companies in the Responsibility Deal on health or risk the government imposing regulation.
The Food & Drink Federation has released a report praising achievements by the industry to cut salt, fat and sugar from products, as its Responsibility Deal with government comes under renewed pressure.
A review of the food industry's progress in cutting salt from products, and recommendations on the best way forward, are due to be published by the Government shortly.
Calls for limits on salt, sugar and fat in foods marketed to children in the UK do not seem so far-fetched when one considers the scale of the challenge posed by poor diet.
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nature’s Path takes majority stake in Gorilly Good
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020