The US food industry convenes to talk sustainability
US food manufacturers association the GMA and retail group the FMI held a conference to discuss how the industry can alleviate its impact on the environment. just-food's Ben Cooper was on the ground to get the news and views from the event.
The organisers of the FMI/GMA Sustainability Summit, which ended today, have stressed the value of the broad range of stakeholders who have participated. Ben Cooper asked representatives from various sectors for their impressions of the conference.
Reducing the amount of food waste that goes to landfill is a sustainability challenge faced the world over. Ben Cooper takes a look at an initiative in the US which brings together retailers, manufacturers and restaurant operators.
As the conference closes, Ben Cooper gives a journalist's view of the FMI/GMA Sustainability Summit.
So, Coca-Cola wants eventually to develop a bottle that you can drink from and when you're finished eat? I suppose that is the ultimate definition of empty calories!
Progress on the sustainability agenda presents an opportunity to boost both the top and bottom line, delegates at a Sustainability Summit hosted by the GMA and FMI heard yesterday (4 October).
The Grocery Manufacturers Association and the Food Marketing Institute hope to encourage "every link in America's food chain" to come together and discuss issues surrounding the sustainability agenda at the jointly-hosted annual Sustainability Summit, taking place in Washington DC this week.
The first short session of the GMA/FMI Sustainability Summit taking place in Washington was a slightly odd affair. Billed as a Pre-Summit Expert Session, nobody seemed completely certain whether the conference had actually begun or not.
Partnerships between stakeholders are "essential" to improve the sustainability of agricultural supply chains, the Environmental Defense Fund has suggested.
The Sustainability Summit, jointly convened by the Grocery Manufacturers Association (GMA) and the retailer association, the Food Marketing Institute (FMI), gets underway in Washington DC tomorrow (3 Oct), and just-food will be attending all three days.
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report