Emerging markets and online grocery
Grocery e-commerce is developing in emerging markets, albeit at a varied pace. However, consumer interest is rising and retailers are responding. This briefing looks at the channel in five countries.
Brazil's online food retail market is, as in many emerging markets, still in its infancy. However, industry watchers report it is a expanding channel and, despite challenges in logistics and distribution, retailers believe demand will grow. Paula Krizanovic reports.
High demand for home grocery deliveries in large Russian cities and the success of such services in Western countries are helping create a buzz around online grocery retailing in Russia. But complexity and high cost of operating this model in Russia means few retailers have so far launched online sales channels. Online grocery stores that do exist tend to limit their deliveries to Moscow or St Petersburg, and emphasise their offline locations.
With the cooling global economy, top line expansion of packaged food categories in China has slowed somewhat. One channel that continues to grow apace is e-commerce. Online sales and the development of a multichannel strategy will become increasingly important to international players who have targeted expansion in China. In the next instalment of the just-food management briefing, we take a look at the risks and rewards on offer for overseas companies expanding in China's rapidly evolving e-tail space.
Complex infrastructure and limited access to the internet are just two of the challenges in growing the online grocery channel in India. But manufacturers in every sector and online retailers are eyeing the opportunity as the country's economy grows and incomes rise. Hannah Abdulla looks at how the FMCG industry can win online.
- 2017: three major drivers of M&A strategy
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- Could BRF's Turkey move pave way for OneFoods IPO?
- Premier Foods issues profit warning
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- Lindt sees FY sales acceleration on Europe growth
- Kellogg names Fareed Khan as incoming CFO