The just-food briefing - logistics
A stagnant economy, retailers opening more and different types of stores and the environment: food manufacturers and their logistics partners have a lot consider when thinking about to get food from A to B.
This month's just-food management briefing looks at logistics in the food industry. Part one considers the impact of a climate of low economic growth and high operating costs on food groups' and retailers' supply chains. Are these difficult market conditions stimulating the emergence of new ways of organising food logistics ?
Logistics companies, far from being simple hauliers, have adapted to meet the increasingly complicated and specialised needs of customers in the food manufacture and retail spheres, such as tracking and traceability and flexible volumes. In the second part of his feature on logistics, Stuart Todd gains insight from major logistics providers about this fascinating industry.
High petrol prices and the increasing importance of sustainability has prompted the food industry to try out new - and often innovative - methods of transporting their wares to customers, as well as search for ways to enhance their existing logistical operations. Stuart Todd takes a look at the schemes food manufacturers and retailers have adopted to reduce both their carbon footprint and transport costs.
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis