The just-food briefing - logistics
A stagnant economy, retailers opening more and different types of stores and the environment: food manufacturers and their logistics partners have a lot consider when thinking about to get food from A to B.
This month's just-food management briefing looks at logistics in the food industry. Part one considers the impact of a climate of low economic growth and high operating costs on food groups' and retailers' supply chains. Are these difficult market conditions stimulating the emergence of new ways of organising food logistics ?
Logistics companies, far from being simple hauliers, have adapted to meet the increasingly complicated and specialised needs of customers in the food manufacture and retail spheres, such as tracking and traceability and flexible volumes. In the second part of his feature on logistics, Stuart Todd gains insight from major logistics providers about this fascinating industry.
High petrol prices and the increasing importance of sustainability has prompted the food industry to try out new - and often innovative - methods of transporting their wares to customers, as well as search for ways to enhance their existing logistical operations. Stuart Todd takes a look at the schemes food manufacturers and retailers have adopted to reduce both their carbon footprint and transport costs.
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report