The just-food briefing - the challenge of online food retail
Consumers are increasingly shopping online but developing a successful operating model has proven tough - even for the largest retailers. In this month's just-food management briefing, Glynn Davis analyses the more successful ventures and looks at how the channel could develop.
This month's exclusive just-food management briefing looks at online food retail, a growing sector but one that operators have found a tough nut to crack. In part one, Glynn Davis argues that the cost of running an online service has stymied a number of ventures and will be a key factor in determining where the channel flourishes.
The fourth and final part of just-food's briefing on online food retail looks at the impact that mobile commerce is having on the sector. As Glynn Davis argues, shopping via a consumer's handset will only grow in popularity will be a significant factor in the sector's development.
In part three of the just-food management briefing on online food retail, Glynn Davis provides examples of some of the more notable ventures in the sector – from Tesco and Ocado in the UK to Migros Group in Switzerland and FreshDirect in the US.
In part two of this month's briefing on online food retail, Glynn Davis outlines the key operating models used by the main operators. Industry watchers believe retailers are moving away from using pickers in stores to allowing consumers to order online and collect either at their outlets or at specific warehouses.
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- How the Applegate acquisition will benefit Hormel
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Heinz, Boulder face off in Smart Balance TM spat
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- Wal-Mart acts on animal welfare, antibiotics
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Consumer Foodservice in Indonesia
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)