The just-food management briefing - Food trends 2011
While the economic downturn has had a relatively minimal impact on packaged food sales, continued economic anxiety means that future growth prospects are far from guaranteed. However, some categories within the food industry have benefited and look set to continue to do so. This management briefing explores the trends set to impact the sector in 2011.
While the recent global economic downturn had a comparatively minimal impact on packaged food sales, continued economic anxiety and the spectre of public spending cuts across much of Europe mean that the future growth prospects are far from guaranteed.
Retail volume expectations for sweet and savoury snacks should be fairly constrained in the event of a weaker economic recovery, mainly because increasing employment levels, particularly in emerging markets in Latin America and Asia Pacific, tend to drive the expansion of a truly global snacking culture.
Health and wellness (HW) has been one of the biggest drivers of packaged food innovation and sales in recent years and continues to dominate industry discourse, as well as general strategic direction.
Fairtrade and organic food items have already demonstrated that, if marketed properly, they can thrive in challenging economic conditions.
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review