The just-food management briefing - Food trends 2011
While the economic downturn has had a relatively minimal impact on packaged food sales, continued economic anxiety means that future growth prospects are far from guaranteed. However, some categories within the food industry have benefited and look set to continue to do so. This management briefing explores the trends set to impact the sector in 2011.
While the recent global economic downturn had a comparatively minimal impact on packaged food sales, continued economic anxiety and the spectre of public spending cuts across much of Europe mean that the future growth prospects are far from guaranteed.
Retail volume expectations for sweet and savoury snacks should be fairly constrained in the event of a weaker economic recovery, mainly because increasing employment levels, particularly in emerging markets in Latin America and Asia Pacific, tend to drive the expansion of a truly global snacking culture.
Health and wellness (HW) has been one of the biggest drivers of packaged food innovation and sales in recent years and continues to dominate industry discourse, as well as general strategic direction.
Fairtrade and organic food items have already demonstrated that, if marketed properly, they can thrive in challenging economic conditions.
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Mengniu sales dip but work on costs boosts profits
- Brownes Dairy "attracts eight suitors"
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis