The just-food management briefing - Food trends 2011
While the economic downturn has had a relatively minimal impact on packaged food sales, continued economic anxiety means that future growth prospects are far from guaranteed. However, some categories within the food industry have benefited and look set to continue to do so. This management briefing explores the trends set to impact the sector in 2011.
While the recent global economic downturn had a comparatively minimal impact on packaged food sales, continued economic anxiety and the spectre of public spending cuts across much of Europe mean that the future growth prospects are far from guaranteed.
Retail volume expectations for sweet and savoury snacks should be fairly constrained in the event of a weaker economic recovery, mainly because increasing employment levels, particularly in emerging markets in Latin America and Asia Pacific, tend to drive the expansion of a truly global snacking culture.
Health and wellness (HW) has been one of the biggest drivers of packaged food innovation and sales in recent years and continues to dominate industry discourse, as well as general strategic direction.
Fairtrade and organic food items have already demonstrated that, if marketed properly, they can thrive in challenging economic conditions.
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Emerging markets online: India's food retail scene
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- Premier Foods hails "improving" sales trends
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019