The nutrient taxes debate
Taxing foods according to their nutritional value to tackle diet-related health problems has been a topic of fierce debate over the past few years. This month's just-food management briefing for subscribers looks at this thorny issue in detail.
The idea of taxing foods according to their nutritional value as a means of tackling diet-related health problems and in particular rising obesity has been an increasingly discussed issue over the past few years. Part one of this month's management briefing for just-food subscribers looks at the debates around the effectiveness of nutrient taxes.
While events in France, Hungary, Denmark and Ireland ensure that the nutrient tax issue is being hotly debated in Europe, the issue has also been a subject of discussion in the US and very recently in Canada.
While fat taxes are being considered as policy options in countries as diverse as Canada, Peru, Australia and New Zealand, Israel and South Africa, it is significant that all three recent implementations of nutrient taxes took place within EU countries, namely Denmark, France and Hungary.
The debate currently being played out in Ireland places the theoretical ideas about how fat taxes may or may not work, and the intended or unintended consequences which may result, in a very real context.
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019