What to watch in 2012
Water usage, food security, the "savvy shopper" and industry consolidation will be themes to watch this year
Some of the world's largest retailers struggled in 2011, which promises to mean even more intense competition in 2012. What could this mean for suppliers? Ultimately, it could mean the industry witnesses more consolidation this year.
In part two of our management briefing, Sam Webb talks to experts about the possible changes to the landscape of the food retail sector in 2012, amid power shifts, market volatility, evolving shopping trends and changing consumer habits.
Forecasting that sustainability will be a prominent subject in 2012 is hardly the boldest of predictions. But given the complexity and breadth of the sustainability arena, predicting what the hotspots will be during the coming 12 months is an altogether different proposition. There are some racing certainties, however.
- Maspex: M&A opportunities in eastern Europe
- The just-food interview: Bega Cheese CEO
- Why "simple" and "real" will be industry buzzwords
- Nestle's 2014 results: 10 Things to Learn
- Sustainability Watch: The US packaging challenge
- Gruma FY earnings surge as margins improve
- UPDATE: Mondelez confirms Irish plant changes
- Kerry Group CEO expects more M&A in 2015
- Glanbia FY profits beat analyst forecasts
- Bright Food "to buy 70% of Tnuva"