What to watch in 2012
Water usage, food security, the "savvy shopper" and industry consolidation will be themes to watch this year
Some of the world's largest retailers struggled in 2011, which promises to mean even more intense competition in 2012. What could this mean for suppliers? Ultimately, it could mean the industry witnesses more consolidation this year.
In part two of our management briefing, Sam Webb talks to experts about the possible changes to the landscape of the food retail sector in 2012, amid power shifts, market volatility, evolving shopping trends and changing consumer habits.
Forecasting that sustainability will be a prominent subject in 2012 is hardly the boldest of predictions. But given the complexity and breadth of the sustainability arena, predicting what the hotspots will be during the coming 12 months is an altogether different proposition. There are some racing certainties, however.
- BRICs and beyond: Fonterra, Beingmate partnership
- On the money: Mengniu hones in on "star" brands
- just-food interview: Agropur CEO Robert Coallier
- Comment: Competition to rise on whey investments
- Consuming issues: The hunger-obesity paradox
- Valio lactose-free trucks stopped at Russia border
- UK firm Pasta Reale enters administration
- H1 profits down at dairy group FrieslandCampina
- Valio targets China with EUR70m whey inve
- Fonterra, Beingmate launch infant formula JV