UK: 2 Sisters' Boparan Holdings reports mixed Q1
- Net loss of GBP5.1m
- Operating profit climbs 13.3%
- Net sales grow 9.2%
Despite the net loss, CEO Ranjit Singh, said the company had made a “solid start” to its new financial year
In the 13 weeks ended 27 October, the company made a net loss of GBP5.1m (US$8.3m) compared to a profit of GBP2m last year. Boparan blamed the loss on GBP12.1m of costs related to the site closure its Leicester site in October.
However, group operating profit, before restructuring costs, amounted to GBP30.7m, a 13.3% increase on last year. Operating profit margin was "slightly ahead" of the prior year quarter. The firm said its expectation of "broadly flat margins" for its full year remains unchanged.
The company, which supplies own-label chilled foods and poultry, as well as brands like Fox's biscuits, to UK retailers, said group sales climbed 9.2% to GBP616.7m. Like-for-like sales were up 5%.
CEO Ranjit Singh said 2 Sisters had made a "solid start" to its new financial year, in "challenging" market conditions.
"Despite the tough consumer environment and lapping sales gains made last year, we grew sales during the first quarter as we work hard to deliver food for every meal occasion," he said. "We expect markets to continue to be challenging and, reflecting our focus on top line sales growth and cash, we will invest where we see opportunities for growth."
Judicial administrators have demanded the Quimper commercial court pronounce a winding-up order for Doux's last remaining abattoir for fresh products....
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report