UK: 2 Sisters faces equal-pay claim
2 Sisters has been dragged into a dispute over equal pay
2 Sisters Food Group is facing an equal pay claim alleging it has paid female staff lower wages than male counterparts.
The UK food company confirmed to just-food today (5 March) it had received a written grievance from Leigh Day Solicitors acting on behalf of 57 former employees from its Haughley Park chicken factory, which ceased operations in November.
Leigh Day is working with Pay Justice, a group that looks into "fair pay". Pay Justice became involved after an ex-employee of 2 Sisters visited its website to enquire whether she had a claim against the poultry manufacturer.
According to a spokesperson for Pay Justice, the ex-employee answered a number of questions on its site, "scored highly" on a "percentage likelihood" of the claim being accepted, and met with the group, before filing an official claim with lawyers from Leigh Day.
The solicitors advised Pay Justice to investigate further and "build up the numbers" to create a stronger case.
"They're [2 Sisters] a large company and they are shutting sites so there may be other people coming to our site to claim," the Pay Justice spokesperson said.
Pay Justice has set up a campaign that aims to "assist low-paid women currently (or recently) employed by 2 Sisters to gain their entitlements to be paid the same as men doing work of equal value but who are currently earning much more."
According to reports, the claim centres around a dispute female staff have been paid around GBP1.50 per hour less than male counterparts. However, a spokesperson for 2 Sisters told just-food that information was "incorrect".
2 Sisters said it was "reviewing the contents of the written grievance and will respond accordingly".
Biscuits in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018)...
Chilled & Deli Food in Europe industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contain...
Chilled & Deli Food in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile ...
Ready Meals in Europe industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contains descri...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- just-food's pick: Natural Products Expo top 10
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits