UK: 2 Sisters Food Group gets strike reprieve
Two further strikes had been planned to take place tomorrow and Friday
A second strike set to hit UK firm 2 Sisters Food Group has been called off to allow union officials and the company to try to resolve the pay dispute.
Workers at 2 Sisters' plants in Smethwick and Wolverhampton were set to hold industrial action tomorrow (18 December) in their latest protests over pay and changes to working conditions. A 24-hour walkout was held on Friday. Tomorrow's strike was to be the second of three one-day protests. The third planned strike, scheduled for this Friday, is still in place.
"Tomorrow's strike has been called off so that progress can be made in talks with the management with a view for a fair and equitable settlement," Des Quinn, regional office at the Unite union, said. "Unite won't be commenting further while these talks continue. However, the 24-hour strike scheduled for this Friday is still set to go-ahead."
A spokesperson for 2 Sisters told just-food it was "pleased" Unite had confirmed it is calling off tomorrow's strike.
"They informed us on Friday they were planning to cancel the strike and it gives both parties chance to engage in discussions, and from our perspective with Unite and our employees directly.
"There has been dialogue happening on a daily basis ... there is nothing else we can really say at this stage. There are discussions happening and they will continue, that's all we can say."
Judicial administrators have demanded the Quimper commercial court pronounce a winding-up order for Doux's last remaining abattoir for fresh products....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review