UK: 2 Sisters posts Q2 loss despite sales increase
2 Sisters has reported a Q2 loss due to higher costs
Boporan Holdings Ltd, the owner of 2 Sisters Food Group, has posted a net loss for the second quarter of 2014 despite like-for-like sales growth of 3.9%.
Boporan Holdings, holding company for the meat and poultry production firm, posted a net loss of GBP27.5m (US$45.6m) for the 13 weeks ended 25 January compared with GBP12.3m for the same period last year.
Operating profit fell to GBP13.3m compared to GBP26.1m for the same period a year earlier. Like-for-like operating profit was also down at GBP15.3m from GBP26.2m a year earlier.
Higher costs and a GBP20.7m impairment charge linked to facility closures hit 2 Sisters Food Group's bottom line, the company revealed.
Ranjit Singh, CEO of 2 Sisters Food Group, said: "This has been a very challenging quarter, but we delivered a creditable performance in Q2, despite the tough and competitive market conditions. We delivered for our customers over the key Christmas trading period, but in line with expectations, this impacted profitability in chilled due to the significant investment made in product launches and disruption costs of new ranges. Protein made good progress with the integration of Vion on plan, we continued to make steady progress in branded and we are taking actions to address chilled performance and investing in capacity to meet our customer growth."
He added that the firm was addressing its cost base and would focus on working with "customers to drive organic growth" and integration of acquired businesses into the group "to bring about long-term growth benefits".
"The Future of the Meat Market in India to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company research. Thi...
Chilled & Deli Food in Europe industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contain...
"The Future of the Meat Market in the United States to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company r...
Chilled & Deli Food in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile ...
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- What the analysts say: Unilever's mixed 2014
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Unilever revenues disappoint as food sales fall
- Findus: "No sale process underway" in UK
- Lifeway Foods CEO denies sale talks
- Hovis CFO Michael Kennedy exits
- Weston Foods acquires Creative Occasions
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019