UK: 2 Sisters union talks fail
2 Sisters defended pay offer and changes to working patterns
Staff at UK firm 2 Sisters Food Group will go on strike tomorrow (14 December) after last-ditch talks between the company and union officials failed.
Workers at two plants will hold industrial action in protest over pay after discussions broke down.
Employees at the sites in Smethwick and Wolverhampton want changes to pay and working conditions.
"Discussions have made good progress on some of the issues, but we remain deadlocked on pay and seven-day day working. Further discussions are welcomed by Unite, however since a settlement is not within view, the dispute will carry on," Des Quinn, regional officer at the Unite union, said today.
Staff have planned two more 24-hour strikes on Tuesday and next Friday. 2 Sisters supplies meat, seafood, chilled and bakery products to UK retailers and Unite claims supplies of chicken to supermarkets will be "hit" in the run-up to Christmas.
2 Sisters insisted it will be able to supply customers from its other sites. The company said it was "disappointed" with the strike action and insisted it had made an "above-inflation" pay offer to staff. It also said it needed new working patterns to serve new contracts.
"We have won additional business with our customers, and need to move to a five-in-seven day working pattern to meet these supply demands. We believe this is a positive signal – demand for our products will help to sustain jobs at these sites and we also have plans to create 500 additional jobs in the West Midlands, but only if we can move to a 5 in 7 day working operation," 2 Sisters said. "Whilst we are disappointed by strike action, we will keep discussions open with Unite."
Quinn said Unite was ready to hold talks with 2 Sisters but insisted the company had to put a "realistic offer on the table".
The report presents detailed data on consumption trends in the Frozen Meat category in United Kingdom, analyzing consumption volumes and values at segment level. It also provides indispensable data on...
The report presents detailed data on consumption trends in the Fresh Meat (Counter) category in United Kingdom, analyzing consumption volumes and values at segment level. It also provides indispensabl...
Judicial administrators have demanded the Quimper commercial court pronounce a winding-up order for Doux's last remaining abattoir for fresh products....
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- just-food's pick: Natural Products Expo top 10
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits