USA: 2000 is vintage year for Ohio apples
"Excellent flavor and large fruit size are characteristic of this year's 'vintage' Ohio apple crop," announced John Wargowsky, promotions coordinator for the Ohio Apple Marketing Program. "The apple color knocks your socks off," said Dano Simmons of Peace Valley Orchards in Columbiana County. "Harvest continues to run ahead of schedule according to reports from apple growers throughout the state," Wargowsky added.October marks National Apple Month, which dates back to Halloween, October 31, 1905, when Captain James Handly of Quincy, Illinois started distributing gift apples to school children and extolling the fruit's virtues. The health benefits of apples and apple products were first recorded as early as medieval times, leading to the relatively recent saying, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Apples' healthy attributes received considerable renewed interest recently, following the publication of several studies linking nutrients found in apples and apple products to an impressive range of health benefits such as the following:
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Comment: Premier has more to ponder than Brexit
- 2017: three major drivers of M&A strategy
- The food market in 2017 - consumer trends and M&A
- Trump seen as negative for global food trade
- Analysis: B&G Foods balancing growth and decline
- Premier Foods issues profit warning
- Nestle mum on Mead Johnson takeover talk
- Mondelez sells Vegemite to Bega
- Kellogg to slash 250 jobs
- Emmi to buy dessert maker Italian Fresh Foods