USA: 2000 is vintage year for Ohio apples
"Excellent flavor and large fruit size are characteristic of this year's 'vintage' Ohio apple crop," announced John Wargowsky, promotions coordinator for the Ohio Apple Marketing Program. "The apple color knocks your socks off," said Dano Simmons of Peace Valley Orchards in Columbiana County. "Harvest continues to run ahead of schedule according to reports from apple growers throughout the state," Wargowsky added.October marks National Apple Month, which dates back to Halloween, October 31, 1905, when Captain James Handly of Quincy, Illinois started distributing gift apples to school children and extolling the fruit's virtues. The health benefits of apples and apple products were first recorded as early as medieval times, leading to the relatively recent saying, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Apples' healthy attributes received considerable renewed interest recently, following the publication of several studies linking nutrients found in apples and apple products to an impressive range of health benefits such as the following:
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund