SINGAPORE: 2011 Thai floods hit Fraser and Neave's dairy profits
Singapore conglomerate Fraser and Neave has booked a drop in annual profits from its dairy business after production was hit by the floods in Thailand late last year.
F&N, which is the subject of a takeover battle, reported its results for the year to 30 September and said earnings from dairy stood at S$26m, down from S$37m a year earlier.
The company said its dairy operations in Thailand returned to full production in May after 200 days of disruption.
Further north in Malaysia, F&N said the removal of a sugar subsidy for some food and beverage suppliers had put its local dairy business "at a cost disadvantage".
However, excluding the impact of the Thai floods, profits from F&N's dairy business increased 67% to S$25m.
F&N, which brews beer, manufactures soft drinks and owns property worldwide, has received two takeover bids. Last week, Overseas Union Enterprise (OUE), a Singapore-based property group, submitted a S$13.1bn (US$10.7bn) cash offer for full control of F&N.
The bid tops a S$9bn bid for F&N by TCC Assets – a privately-held vehicle owned by Thai billionaire Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi. Through TCC Assets and Chang beer brewer ThaiBev, Sirivadhanabhakdi already holds a 30.66% stake in F&N.
Japanese food and drink group Kirin Holdings has agreed to acquire F&N's food and beverage business if the bid by OUE for the conglomerate succeeds.
Kirin said on Friday it will tender its 15% stake in F&N for S$1.9bn. If OUE's offer is accepted, the Japanese group will then buy back F&N's food and beverage business for around S$2.7bn.
Last week, the sale of F&N's interest in Tiger beer brewer Asia Pacific Breweries to Heineken was completed. Heineken moved to buy out F&N from APB after ThaiBev acquired a stake in the Singapore group, prompting months of takeover intrigue that still surrounds the company.
Dairy in Malaysia industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profile also contains descriptio...
Kirin Holdings has reported a significant return to net profit in its first quarter helped by the sale of its stake in Fraser and Neave earlier this year....
Dairy in Singapore industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profile also contains descripti...
- Why data is key to shopper satisfaction
- Interview: Premier sets sights overseas
- On the money: Spreads, ice cream top Unilever woes
- Sustainability Watch: Roberto Ciati, Barilla
- Short-termism decides Chiquita's future
- Hovis CEO Spooner leaves bread maker
- Glanbia chairman to step down
- General Mills to launch "Ancient Grains" Cheerios
- Kellogg earnings beat forecast but sales pressured
- Hershey lowers FY sales, earnings forecasts
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Supermarkets in China
- Pubs & Bars in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Consumer Trends Analysis: Understanding Consumer Trends and Drivers of Behavior in the Chinese Confectionery Food Market
- Kerry Group plc - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report