SPAIN: 2013 "positive" for Ebro despite lower profits
Factors in India, Morocco and the US hit Ebro's rice business
Spain-based food group Ebro Foods described 2013 as "very positive" for the business even as its profits came in lower year-on-year.
Ebro booked annual net profit from continuing operations of EUR141.5m (US$193.2m), down 12% on the year.
The company's 2012 profits were boosted by the proceeds from the sale of rice brand Nomen.
The absence of Nomen, foreign exchange and an 8.5% jump in advertising expenditure meant Ebro's EBITDA was down 5.6% at EUR282m.
Ebro said its net turnover fell 1.2% to EUR1.96bn with the sale of Nomen again a factor.
However, looking back on 2013, Ebro said: "Although the consolidated results have been dented by all the external factors that have hampered the rice division, the overall balance and evolution of Ebro during 2013 have been very positive, since in a sector increasingly dominated by private label, its brands have hung on to their leading positions through intense work in innovation, commercial and marketing aspects."
Sales and EBITDA from Ebro's rice division were lower. Ebro said there had been a "mass default of basmati supply contracts in India", while smuggling of rice into Morocco hit its margins there. The company also pointed to the impact of a drought in Texas.
Sales from Ebro's pasta business were down, although EBITDA was up.
Kepler Cheuvreux analyst Inigo Egusquiza lowered a forecast on Ebro's 2014 EBITDA, estimating there would be a "lower contribution" from rice and from pasta. Ebro is selling its German pasta business Birkel.
Spanish food group Ebro Foods has forecast a 12% rise in earnings in 2014....
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Global Ready Meals industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, retail market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The...
Synopsis The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global pasta & noodles market during June 2014. ...
The report provides a review of the mergers and acquisitions (M&As), partnering deals, and agreements entered into by companies active in the global pasta & noodles market during December 2013....
The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global pasta & noodles market during December 2013. Summary Using this report, marketers will effectively gain an insight into th...
"The Future of the Pasta & Noodles Market in India to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company re...
"The Future of the Pasta & Noodles Market in Thailand to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company...
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Emerging markets online: India's food retail scene
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- McCain to close Grobbendonk plant in Belgium
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Jobs to go at FrieslandCampina cheese plant
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019