DENMARK: 2013 sales, EBIT up at Dansk Supermarked
Dansk Supermarked increased share in three of its four markets
Denmark-based retailer Dansk Supermarked, which is set to switch owners, has reported higher operating profit and sales for 2013.
The grocer posted EBIT of DKK2.4bn (US$447.4m), up from DKK1.7bn last year. Turnover was up 2.3% at DKK56.86bn.
The company said: "The improved performance was made on the basis of increased focus on customers through a better shopping experience and competitive prices."
Dansk Supermarked runs stores under four banners in Denmark - Netto, Fotex, Bilka and Salling. It also has Netto outlets in Germany, Poland and Sweden.
The company said it grew market share in Denmark, Sweden and Poland in 2013 and "maintained" its share in Germany.
"Our goal is to develop a Danish-based retail business of international class," CEO Per Bank said. "2013 shows that we are well on our way to achieving this. We 're not there yet but we will continue our development for the benefit of our customers, employees and the community around us."
In January, shipping-to-oil group A.P. Møller-Maersk is to sell most of its shares in Dansk Supermarked.
Maersk agreed a deal to sell back a 49% stake in Dansk to the Salling Companies, its partner in the retail business and a group linked to the grocer's founder.
The conglomerate will keep a 19% stake in Dansk on which Salling has a call option it can activate in five years.
Retail closing hour regulations, which required outlets with large turnovers to close by 20:00hrs Monday to Saturday and all of Sunday, were lifted in October 2012. This had a devastating impact on th...
Introduction Food Retail in Denmark industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The pro......
Agricultural Products in Denmark industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profil...
Grocery retailing achieved slightly stronger growth in 2013 compared to the previous year despite the fact that the grocery channel in German is rather mature and saturated. However, an optimistic eco...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis: The impact on shopper behaviour
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020