USA: 64 jobs axed in Bimbo Sioux City plant closure
Bimbo Bakeries USA Sioux City plant closure will mean 64 staff lose their jobs
Grupo Bimbo has confirmed it is to close its bakery in Sioux City in the US, a move that will affect 64 members of staff.
Production will shift to other Bimbo sites when the plant officially closes on 28 March.
"This decision was made after an extensive assessment that concluded the ageing facility could not compete in the marketplace and is not conducive to BBU's overall strategy for growth," said Didier Moleres, regional vice president of operations for Bimbo Bakeries USA's central region. "This decision was, however, difficult because of the great team of associates at the Sioux City Bakery."
The 64 employees in ongoing discussions with HR and union representatives to disucss severance and other benefits.
The firm confirmed the changes would not impact customer service or product availability.
Horsham, Pennsylvania (January 31,2014) – Bimbo Bakeries USA (BBU) announced today that it will cease operations at its bakery located at 1500 North US Hwy 75, Sioux City, IA by March 28, 2014. The bakery, which produces bread and currently employs 64 associates, will shift production to other BBU bakeries in the Company’s manufacturing network.
“This decision was made after an extensive assessment of that concluded the aging facility could not compete in the marketplace and is not conducive to BBU’s overall strategy for growth,” said Didier Moleres, Regional Vice President of Operations for BBU’s Central region. “This decision was, however, difficult because of the great team of associates at the Sioux City Bakery.”
These changes will not impact BBU’s customer service or the availability of its fresh-baked products, which will continue to be distributed across the state.
Human resources representatives met with all affected employees and union representatives to discuss severance and other benefits, as well as resources available to assist them.
“We value and respect our associates and are working to support them during this transition,” said Moleres.
About Bimbo Bakeries USA
Bimbo Bakeries USA (BBU) is a leader in the baking industry, known for its category leading brands, innovative products, freshness and quality. Our team of more than 25,000 U.S. associates operates more than 65 manufacturing locations in the United States.13.500 distribution routes deliver our leading brands such as Arnold®, Bimbo®, Boboli®, Brownberry®, Entenmann's®, Francisco®, Freihofer's®, Heiners ®, Marinela®, Mrs Baird’s®, Oroweat®, Sara Lee®, Stroehmann®, Thomas'® and Tia Rosa®.
Original source: Bimbo Bakeries USA
Mexican bakery giant Grupo Bimbo has reached an agreement to buy Saputo's bakery business for C$120m....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- How PepsiCo is taking action on palm oil
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- MP calls for probe into Bernard Matthews "sale"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report